Heroes of Might and Magic Community
visiting hero! Register | Today's Posts | Games | Search! | FAQ/Rules | AvatarList | MemberList | Profile


Age of Heroes Headlines:  
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
6 Aug 2016: Troubled Heroes VII Expansion Release - read more
26 Apr 2016: Heroes VII XPack - Trial by Fire - Coming out in June! - read more
17 Apr 2016: Global Alternative Creatures MOD for H7 after 1.8 Patch! - read more
7 Mar 2016: Romero launches a Piano Sonata Album Kickstarter! - read more
19 Feb 2016: Heroes 5.5 RC6, Heroes VII patch 1.7 are out! - read more
13 Jan 2016: Horn of the Abyss 1.4 Available for Download! - read more
17 Dec 2015: Heroes 5.5 update, 1.6 out for H7 - read more
23 Nov 2015: H7 1.4 & 1.5 patches Released - read more
31 Oct 2015: First H7 patches are out, End of DoC development - read more
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
[X] Remove Ads
LOGIN:     Username:     Password:         [ Register ]
New Server | HOMM1: info forum | HOMM2: info forum | HOMM3: info forum | HOMM4: info forum | HOMM5: info forum | MMH6: wiki forum | MMH7: wiki forum
Heroes Community > Heroes 3.5 - WoG and Beyond > Thread: [Official Thread] HoMM 3: Horn of the Abyss - Announcements, Questions, Features
Thread: [Official Thread] HoMM 3: Horn of the Abyss - Announcements, Questions, Features This Popular Thread is 315 pages long: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 60 120 180 240 300 ... 311 312 313 314 315 · «PREV / NEXT»
Serp
Serp


Known Hero
posted June 10, 2018 05:05 PM

Gruk_ said:
Serp said:
@ template editor creator:
Are you still working on it? I really would like to create fair multiplayer templates. Especially set towns/dwellings "same as player" is very important for that.
Some months ago I already wrote other important improvements here.

Please tell me that this will be availabe soon =( (or tell me that you do not plan to add it)

Still on my todo list. And still like the idea.

Can't promise anything though, let alone make any prediction about when it could be available.


Great
Maybe we could do a seperate thread for this?
You do the opening post and add everything that is on your todo list from "very likely" to "unlikely" to "won't happen".
We will write our suggestions and you will add them to your todo list, so we can see what was already suggested and what will happen/won't happen

Because I also have soo many ideas that would improve it alot
(Eg. copy paste a set of rules)

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Gruk_
Gruk_


Hired Hero
posted June 11, 2018 12:44 PM

Serp said:

Great
Maybe we could do a seperate thread for this?
You do the opening post and add everything that is on your todo list from "very likely" to "unlikely" to "won't happen".
We will write our suggestions and you will add them to your todo list, so we can see what was already suggested and what will happen/won't happen

Because I also have soo many ideas that would improve it alot
(Eg. copy paste a set of rules)

Honestly, I don't want to promise anything. It really depends on the spare time I have, and also on what is technically possible, which I'm not necessarily always aware of.

That being said, all you suggestions are welcome. You can add them in the "Ideas and Suggestions" thread. I read it.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Lth3
Lth3


Adventuring Hero
posted June 13, 2018 02:43 PM

HotA, is it about time to lift off those massive Necropolis nerfs?

it is the weakest town by far in HotA, not to mention that skeleton farming is not even worth the time, considering how strong wywern, cyclop, giant and angel powerstacks are. and we are talking about a mere lvl 1 unit here. does not compare to Inferno demon farming at all. not even in the same league as it is now

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
phoenix4ever
phoenix4ever


Supreme Hero
Heroes is love, Heroes is life
posted June 13, 2018 05:15 PM

^^ I decided to make necromancy artifacts normal again, seems only fair. Cloak Of The Undead King only makes Skeleton Warriors though.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
nordos
nordos


Known Hero
posted June 13, 2018 05:21 PM

phoenix4ever said:
^^ I decided to make necromancy artifacts normal again, seems only fair. Cloak Of The Undead King only makes Skeleton Warriors though.

Thats a bit harsh Though I do agree that the cloak could be limited to:
(none)          (basic)         (advanced) (expert)
skeletons / skeleton warriors /  zombies  / wights
so that while wights are superior to skeletons, they arent a 'find the pieces, recruit a Necromancer, give him the artifact and a small army and you have a new main hero who will grow more powerful than any other one', yet it still retains the feeling of it being an excpetional artifact
(on that note, there are some combination artifacts that aren't ... either too powerful or too underwhelming. For example, both Thunders and Dragon Father have high requirements, but are kind of lacking for the completion bonus...)

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Lth3
Lth3


Adventuring Hero
posted June 13, 2018 05:56 PM

nordos said:
(on that note, there are some combination artifacts that aren't ... either too powerful or too underwhelming. For example, both Thunders and Dragon Father have high requirements, but are kind of lacking for the completion bonus...)

seems pretty decent to me. you are immune to basically all magic. all you need to do is cast Protection from Earth against Implosion and you're done, massive advantage if Cape of Silence is not present.

Titan's Thunder is good for early game or any secondary hero I guess

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Sav
Sav


Known Hero
posted June 13, 2018 06:07 PM

Lth3 said:
HotA, is it about time to lift off those massive Necropolis nerfs?

it is the weakest town by far in HotA, not to mention that skeleton farming is not even worth the time, considering how strong wywern, cyclop, giant and angel powerstacks are. and we are talking about a mere lvl 1 unit here. does not compare to Inferno demon farming at all. not even in the same league as it is now

Necropolis is not the weakest town. On XL+U templates it is still one of the strongest towns; even on Jebus Cross it is not among the weakest now, with Galthran available. It is not hard to create skeleton powerstack using necromancy plus skeleton transformer.

From what I can see on the streams, town balance is fairly good now and there is no reason to change it again.


phoenix4ever said:
Cloak Of The Undead King only makes Skeleton Warriors though.

In HotA Cloak Of The Undead King wasn't changed. Probably you use the "Tournament rules" option of HD-mod. This artifact is (and always was) banned in the tournaments for the obvious reason.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
phoenix4ever
phoenix4ever


Supreme Hero
Heroes is love, Heroes is life
posted June 13, 2018 06:21 PM

Sav said:

In HotA Cloak Of The Undead King wasn't changed. Probably you use the "Tournament rules" option of HD-mod. This artifact is (and always was) banned in the tournaments for the obvious reason.

Nope, I edited myself, like I did many other things in the game. (With help from some really nice people from HC.)

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Lth3
Lth3


Adventuring Hero
posted June 13, 2018 07:43 PM
Edited by Lth3 at 19:46, 13 Jun 2018.

Sav said:
Lth3 said:
HotA, is it about time to lift off those massive Necropolis nerfs?

it is the weakest town by far in HotA, not to mention that skeleton farming is not even worth the time, considering how strong wywern, cyclop, giant and angel powerstacks are. and we are talking about a mere lvl 1 unit here. does not compare to Inferno demon farming at all. not even in the same league as it is now

Necropolis is not the weakest town. On XL+U templates it is still one of the strongest towns; even on Jebus Cross it is not among the weakest now, with Galthran available. It is not hard to create skeleton powerstack using necromancy plus skeleton transformer.

okay, i can see where you're going. but have you actually 'tried' to accumulate that so-called skeleton "powerstack", and to make it actually useful past 3rd week, or least bit powerful against your opponent?

i bet that wouldn't work so well, considering how much time you have to spend in farming them, making inconvenient moves, whilst you could be doing better things e.g. gathering lvl 6/7 banks and such

one game i did skeleton farming and demon farming at the same time. by the time i accumulated roughly 300 skeletons i was already there with 70 demons, and it only gets worse later on

not to mention that later in the game farming is actually inconvenient since you don't focus that much on battling weak neutral armies, and if you split armies to secondary heroes - they still won't be able to farm much since basically everyone targets the poor skeletons making you lose more than you actually gain, unless you actually do a hero tag-a-long, where you remove skellies after every single battle - talk about wasting time!

what you do is you try to play along with insignificant amounts of lvl 1 units trying to gain a negligible advantage, while your opponent is rapidly gaining momentum, doing the things that decide the game

but maybe i'm doing something wrong in HotA - Necro should be played differently or smth. tell me what other factions couldn't use a Skeleton Transformer just to accumulate Skeletons the way Necro does? or is that 5% Necromancy Amplifier bonus such a big difference in comparison?

Sav said:
From what I can see on the streams, town balance is fairly good now and there is no reason to change it again.

please show me a decent HotA Necropolis stream. i would like to learn, if what you're saying is true

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
nordos
nordos


Known Hero
posted June 13, 2018 07:43 PM

Lth3 said:

seems pretty decent to me. you are immune to basically all magic. all you need to do is cast Protection from Earth against Implosion and you're done, massive advantage if Cape of Silence is not present.

Titan's Thunder is good for early game or any secondary hero I guess


A lot of beneficials spells are unavaible (as in mass bless, haste, shield, ...) and you are still vulnerable to Implosion.
You do realize, that Prot. from Earth is a T3 spell? Meaning, your troops are immune 'against' it? At the same time, you can't resurrect your troops anymore.
While immunity against blind, berserk and similar debuffs is good to have, I feel like Fire Magic is the weakest, while being affected the most. Water is primarily for your own troops (Dispel isn't needed if there are no buffs, and weakness isn't as powerful as prayer, especially in the lategame), Earth has Implosion and Air - well, the only spells used against enemies are damage spells (and damage spells tend to be useless quite fast, due to the troop sclaing).
In fact, I sometimes did disassemble the artifact, due to resurrection being disabled having too much of a negative impact.

What I mean is, that both artifacts are quite hard to assemble (or rather, you need time), while providing with a neglitent boni at this point in time.
The Titans Thunder may be interesting for a secondary hero (and is in fact useful for training them) - at this point though, you generally don't need to train up a new one (earliest I assemble Titans is around Month 2 on a random map with lots of relics laying around).

And Dragons is extremly hard to assemble, due to the amount of items you need. I think I got it around every 5th random map I played. For that, I would really like to get some powerful effect, not a two-egded blade that may lead to huge losses.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Lth3
Lth3


Adventuring Hero
posted June 13, 2018 07:54 PM
Edited by Lth3 at 19:57, 13 Jun 2018.

nordos said:
A lot of beneficials spells are unavaible (as in mass bless, haste, shield, ...) and you are still vulnerable to Implosion.
You do realize, that Prot. from Earth is a T3 spell? Meaning, your troops are immune 'against' it? At the same time, you can't resurrect your troops anymore.
While immunity against blind, berserk and similar debuffs is good to have, I feel like Fire Magic is the weakest, while being affected the most. Water is primarily for your own troops (Dispel isn't needed if there are no buffs, and weakness isn't as powerful as prayer, especially in the lategame), Earth has Implosion and Air - well, the only spells used against enemies are damage spells (and damage spells tend to be useless quite fast, due to the troop sclaing).
In fact, I sometimes did disassemble the artifact, due to resurrection being disabled having too much of a negative impact.

What I mean is, that both artifacts are quite hard to assemble (or rather, you need time), while providing with a neglitent boni at this point in time.
The Titans Thunder may be interesting for a secondary hero (and is in fact useful for training them) - at this point though, you generally don't need to train up a new one (earliest I assemble Titans is around Month 2 on a random map with lots of relics laying around).

And Dragons is extremly hard to assemble, due to the amount of items you need. I think I got it around every 5th random map I played. For that, I would really like to get some powerful effect, not a two-egded blade that may lead to huge losses.

you are right! no beneficial spells too. well in that case it should work like Orb of Inhibition, since you don't wanna purposefully make yourself an 'Implo victim'

i actually have never had the chance to accumulate it, or maybe only once in my lifetime

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
phoenix4ever
phoenix4ever


Supreme Hero
Heroes is love, Heroes is life
posted June 13, 2018 08:11 PM

I guess the whole point of Power Of The Dragon Father is to cast Armageddon. It basically turns your units in to Gold Dragons, being vulnerable to Implosion, but impossible to resurrect, which is not that great.
It also requires so many damn artifacts, that I never really try to assemble it either.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
nordos
nordos


Known Hero
posted June 13, 2018 08:23 PM

What I would think interesting, would be a complete immunity against spell damage (as in, golem ability with 100%). In this case, you can still buff and debuff, while being able to use the Armageddon tactic.
Then again, this may stunt Magic Heroes far too much...

Regarding Titans: A simple sclaing with Spellpower would do the trick, IMO. Something like 600 + 60*SP. With 10 SP, you would thus double the damage, while the scaling still falls short of an expert Implosion (after 20 Spellpower, you get more damage out of Implosion)

If that sounds too crass, maybe a 500 + 50*SP, at which you get more damage with Implos after 8 SP...

Otherwise, you only need more than 4 SP to deal more damage with Implo, which is quite easily reached (after all, the set itself gives 8 Power by itself)

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
nik312
nik312


Promising
Famous Hero
posted June 13, 2018 09:10 PM
Edited by nik312 at 21:13, 13 Jun 2018.

Lth3 said:

but maybe i'm doing something wrong in HotA - Necro should be played differently or smth.

Sav said:
From what I can see on the streams, town balance is fairly good now and there is no reason to change it again.

please show me a decent HotA Necropolis stream. i would like to learn, if what you're saying is true


I could probably address all the rest of it, but it is better to see once than to keep reading about it: https://youtu.be/WJZhB8c7bVI?t=20m6s
May find some other games later, if you wish. There are a lot, but they expire quickly on twitch.
Naturally, if any commentary is present, it is all in Russian.

What you're probably doing wrong is heavily underusing vampire lords. And Thant. Also, probably not splitting your army effectively enough. These are the most common mistakes with Necro nowadays.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
nordos
nordos


Known Hero
posted June 13, 2018 09:24 PM

nik312 said:

I could probably address all the rest of it, but it is better to see once than to keep reading about it: https://youtu.be/WJZhB8c7bVI?t=20m6s
May find some other games later, if you wish. There are a lot, but they expire quickly on twitch.
Naturally, if any commentary is present, it is all in Russian.

What you're probably doing wrong is heavily underusing vampire lords. And Thant. Also, probably not splitting your army effectively enough. These are the most common mistakes with Necro nowadays.


Maybe you can help me with a little problem I have, then.
When I play Necro, I always do the same tactic: Getting Vamp lords ASAP, and starting clearing stuff (since Vamp Lords are insanely powerful). My problem starts when I get out of the initial starting area.
I always have a secondary hero following me, to take on the raised skeletons, as well as, storing the rest of my troops (lichs, black knights, maybe bone dragons and seldom wights). That works against creep good enough (using the complete army against mechanical, elementals and undeads), but once I meet an enemy hero, the problem starts.

Due to the low visibility, there is a high chance that either of my heroes can be ambushed. Loosing my secondary hero, even without my army, is a pain, since I actually need him for my vampire tactic. In return, if the enemy ambushes me while I only have vamp lords... Well, often thats the end.

Another small problem is, that my secondary tends to lag behind, meaning, that I actually need to cripple my speed in order to switch back and forth. Any suggestion how I could do that better?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
nik312
nik312


Promising
Famous Hero
posted June 13, 2018 09:45 PM
Edited by nik312 at 21:46, 13 Jun 2018.

nordos said:
nik312 said:

I could probably address all the rest of it, but it is better to see once than to keep reading about it: https://youtu.be/WJZhB8c7bVI?t=20m6s
May find some other games later, if you wish. There are a lot, but they expire quickly on twitch.
Naturally, if any commentary is present, it is all in Russian.

What you're probably doing wrong is heavily underusing vampire lords. And Thant. Also, probably not splitting your army effectively enough. These are the most common mistakes with Necro nowadays.


Maybe you can help me with a little problem I have, then.
When I play Necro, I always do the same tactic: Getting Vamp lords ASAP, and starting clearing stuff (since Vamp Lords are insanely powerful). My problem starts when I get out of the initial starting area.
I always have a secondary hero following me, to take on the raised skeletons, as well as, storing the rest of my troops (lichs, black knights, maybe bone dragons and seldom wights). That works against creep good enough (using the complete army against mechanical, elementals and undeads), but once I meet an enemy hero, the problem starts.

Due to the low visibility, there is a high chance that either of my heroes can be ambushed. Loosing my secondary hero, even without my army, is a pain, since I actually need him for my vampire tactic. In return, if the enemy ambushes me while I only have vamp lords... Well, often thats the end.

Another small problem is, that my secondary tends to lag behind, meaning, that I actually need to cripple my speed in order to switch back and forth. Any suggestion how I could do that better?


Learn how to effectively manage 8+ heroes. Usually it differs each day - which exact one of them is picking up skeletons after your vampires. Sometimes it's okay even to dismiss or lose those additional skeletons - that hero's goal may be to break some crucial guards, not to farm additional skeletons. Prioritize.

Also, vamp lords are usually all right if you get them early week 2, no need to rush them week 1 - learn how to get by with only liches and skeletons early on (while still having close to no losses).

Here would be a really good place to place some good educational videos, but alas, I know of no good ones in English AFAIK (planning to make one). Some demonstrations on heroes3.tv should help (including the one above), although most of those are Russian with a splash of Polish.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
WillisMakoots
WillisMakoots

Tavern Dweller
posted June 15, 2018 02:08 AM


Hey all, I've been having trouble with the initial download.  I just recently downloaded HOMM 3 from GOG, and every time I try to install it, it just gives me the error message HotA must be installed on Heroes of Might and Magic III SoD or Complete. Selected folder does not contain required Heroes of Might and Magic III files, so installation of HotA is impossible.  

Any tips?

just0 said:
Neelx said:
it says its compatible with heroes HD from steam...
Not compatible with the HD edition from steam. When the description refers to an "HD mod" it means the addon made by baratorch: https://sites.google.com/site/heroes3hd/

You can buy the original game itself from gog: https://www.gog.com/game/heroes_of_might_and_magic_3_complete_edition.

Here's an installation guide:
The directory isn't important, just make sure it's consistent.

1. Install setup_homm_3_complete_4.0_(10665).exe to C:/Games/Heroes3
2. Install HotA_1.5.3_setup.exe to C:/Games/Heroes3
3. Install HoMM3 HD Latest.exe to C:/Games/Heroes3
4. Run HD_Launcher.exe found in C:/Games/Heroes3
5. Click "Create HD exe" for both h3hota.exe and Heroes3.exe (use the dropdown)

Now you can run Horn of the Abyss from "h3hota HD.exe" and Shadow of Death from "Heroes3 HD.exe"

____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Evaline
Evaline


Known Hero
posted June 15, 2018 05:24 PM
Edited by Evaline at 17:25, 15 Jun 2018.

WillisMakoots said:
Any tips?
Click here.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
heroes3wog
heroes3wog


Hired Hero
posted June 17, 2018 04:33 PM

Where can i find the black border gate in the heart of water and stop the green player from harassing me?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
bloodsucker
bloodsucker


Supreme Hero
posted June 17, 2018 08:19 PM

Open the map in the map editor, select any objects in the second toolbar, then in the menu select Edit -> Find-> Black Border Gate

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jump To: « Prev Thread . . . Next Thread » This Popular Thread is 315 pages long: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 60 120 180 240 300 ... 311 312 313 314 315 · «PREV / NEXT»
Post New Poll    Post New Topic    Post New Reply

Page compiled in 0.1465 seconds