Heroes of Might and Magic Community
visiting hero! Register | Today's Posts | Games | Search! | FAQ/Rules | AvatarList | MemberList | Profile


Age of Heroes Headlines:  
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
6 Aug 2016: Troubled Heroes VII Expansion Release - read more
26 Apr 2016: Heroes VII XPack - Trial by Fire - Coming out in June! - read more
17 Apr 2016: Global Alternative Creatures MOD for H7 after 1.8 Patch! - read more
7 Mar 2016: Romero launches a Piano Sonata Album Kickstarter! - read more
19 Feb 2016: Heroes 5.5 RC6, Heroes VII patch 1.7 are out! - read more
13 Jan 2016: Horn of the Abyss 1.4 Available for Download! - read more
17 Dec 2015: Heroes 5.5 update, 1.6 out for H7 - read more
23 Nov 2015: H7 1.4 & 1.5 patches Released - read more
31 Oct 2015: First H7 patches are out, End of DoC development - read more
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
[X] Remove Ads
LOGIN:     Username:     Password:         [ Register ]
New Server | HOMM1: info forum | HOMM2: info forum | HOMM3: info forum | HOMM4: info forum | HOMM5: info forum | MMH6: wiki forum | MMH7: wiki forum
Heroes Community > Heroes 3.5 - WoG and Beyond > Thread: [Official Thread] HoMM 3: Horn of the Abyss - Announcements, Questions, Features
Thread: [Official Thread] HoMM 3: Horn of the Abyss - Announcements, Questions, Features This Popular Thread is 325 pages long: 1 40 80 120 160 200 240 280 ... 306 307 308 309 310 ... 320 325 · «PREV / NEXT»
bloodsucker
bloodsucker


Legendary Hero
posted May 06, 2018 10:47 PM

I honestly don't know, never tried it, but they are dragons so I'm assuming it works. And of course I used Bless...

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
filazaf
filazaf

Tavern Dweller
posted May 09, 2018 04:08 PM

Where i can found a template for G maps?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
OrrinIsTheBest
OrrinIsTheBest


Known Hero
posted May 09, 2018 05:21 PM

filazaf said:
Where i can found a template for G maps?

You can make any template generate giant sized maps with RMG template editor.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
phoenix4ever
phoenix4ever


Supreme Hero
Heroes is love, Heroes is life
posted May 12, 2018 09:02 PM
Edited by phoenix4ever at 21:04, 12 May 2018.

Just a little comment to HotA Crew about the Cove hero Leena:
I don't know how to feel about this hero, she starts with both Basic Estates and has +350 gold specialty. That means she earns the most gold of all heroes at the start of the game, which makes her a must have secondary hero for Cove. (or any other faction for that matter.)
Having her both start with Estates and +350 gold seems a little much, perhaps Estates could be changed to something else or she could start with only Advanced Pathfinding?
As excellent as she is as a secondary hero, I would say she is terrible as main hero, just a weird hero really.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
bloodsucker
bloodsucker


Legendary Hero
posted May 12, 2018 11:09 PM

Nah, she is The Secondary Hero, a bit like Miriam. They suck as main but they have different jobs and they excel at them.
I always found this approach to be one of the great strengths of Cove, it completely fits my gameplay.

HotA crew: congratulations again on the trade of Miriam's Offense for Logistics and Jeremy's Logistics for Offense. They fit much better, reinforcing what I said before.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Orrinisthebest
Orrinisthebest


Known Hero
posted May 13, 2018 10:23 AM

bloodsucker said:
Nah, she is The Secondary Hero, a bit like Miriam. They suck as main but they have different jobs and they excel at them.
I always found this approach to be one of the great strengths of Cove, it completely fits my gameplay.

HotA crew: congratulations again on the trade of Miriam's Offense for Logistics and Jeremy's Logistics for Offense. They fit much better, reinforcing what I said before.

Miriam secondary hero? Seriously?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
bloodsucker
bloodsucker


Legendary Hero
posted May 13, 2018 02:25 PM
Edited by bloodsucker at 14:32, 13 May 2018.

Orrinisthebest said:
Miriam secondary hero? Seriously?

Of course, her mission: to check after any break so I don't run into problems with main.
If I have expert Air, View Air, Corkes has much better stats then everyone else, I trust my spells and magic skills and my Army Strength is considered the first, I may consider to use her for something else but it will always be something where her scouting abilities shine.
She is a scout and I use her like that. She is the best at her function, why to use her for something she is not tailed for? That doesn't mean I don't develop her, as a matter of fact she is the one hero I use Grove more often with.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
P4R4D0X0N
P4R4D0X0N


Famous Hero
posted May 13, 2018 10:59 PM

phoenix4ever said:
Just a little comment to HotA Crew about the Cove hero Leena:
I don't know how to feel about this hero, she starts with both Basic Estates and has +350 gold specialty. That means she earns the most gold of all heroes at the start of the game, which makes her a must have secondary hero for Cove. (or any other faction for that matter.)
Having her both start with Estates and +350 gold seems a little much, perhaps Estates could be changed to something else or she could start with only Advanced Pathfinding?
As excellent as she is as a secondary hero, I would say she is terrible as main hero, just a weird hero really.


I agree here, in early game thats quite something If you are lucky you may skill her after some Treasure Chests and Learning Stones to get the full amount of +350 +500 even in first week.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
foerno
foerno


Hired Hero
posted May 16, 2018 07:57 AM

so how exactly does this new resistance percentage work? i just played a game where i got thorgrim level 30 from prison with expert resistance. that's 30% spell power reduction for secondary skill, and 30 5% per level, according to the description, for the total of 180%. that means that my resistance should reduce the spell power of an enemy hero by 180% during combat, according to the in-game description of the resistance skill.

so how exactly is that calculated? i went into a fight with an opponent with 28 spell power, and it was reduced to 6. that's a reduction of 78.5%. i just can't find a way to get that number based on the description of the skill and hero specialty.

to me it seems that a 180% reduction should be exactly the same as a 100% reduction, so reducing the spell power to 1 which is the minimum. am i doing something wrong or is the description ambiguous / incorrect?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
just0
just0


Adventuring Hero
posted May 16, 2018 09:13 AM
Edited by just0 at 16:46, 16 May 2018.

foerno said:
so how exactly does this new resistance percentage work? i just played a game where i got thorgrim level 30 from prison with expert resistance. that's 30% spell power reduction for secondary skill, and 30 5% per level, according to the description, for the total of 180%. that means that my resistance should reduce the spell power of an enemy hero by 180% during combat, according to the in-game description of the resistance skill.

so how exactly is that calculated? i went into a fight with an opponent with 28 spell power, and it was reduced to 6. that's a reduction of 78.5%. i just can't find a way to get that number based on the description of the skill and hero specialty.

to me it seems that a 180% reduction should be exactly the same as a 100% reduction, so reducing the spell power to 1 which is the minimum. am i doing something wrong or is the description ambiguous / incorrect?
5% * 30 levels = 150%

30% * 150% = 45%

30% + 45% = 75%

28 spell power * 75% = 21 spell power

28 spell power - 21 spell power = 7 spell power

Not sure where that 1 extra spell power went. Maybe the formula has a plus (or minus) 1 at the end or something.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
foerno
foerno


Hired Hero
posted May 16, 2018 10:31 PM

just0 said:
foerno said:
so how exactly does this new resistance percentage work? i just played a game where i got thorgrim level 30 from prison with expert resistance. that's 30% spell power reduction for secondary skill, and 30 5% per level, according to the description, for the total of 180%. that means that my resistance should reduce the spell power of an enemy hero by 180% during combat, according to the in-game description of the resistance skill.

so how exactly is that calculated? i went into a fight with an opponent with 28 spell power, and it was reduced to 6. that's a reduction of 78.5%. i just can't find a way to get that number based on the description of the skill and hero specialty.

to me it seems that a 180% reduction should be exactly the same as a 100% reduction, so reducing the spell power to 1 which is the minimum. am i doing something wrong or is the description ambiguous / incorrect?
5% * 30 levels = 150%

30% * 150% = 45%

30% + 45% = 75%

28 spell power * 75% = 21 spell power

28 spell power - 21 spell power = 7 spell power

Not sure where that 1 extra spell power went. Maybe the formula has a plus (or minus) 1 at the end or something.


thanks, now i understand how it works. wish this was documented somewhere.

strange that it got reduced to 6 and not 7, though. i didn't have any extra resistance artifacts, and i'm sure the opp had 28 spell power, since his statistics read 28(6).

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Sav
Sav


Known Hero
posted May 16, 2018 10:47 PM

It may be the error of floating point calculations (the number was something like 6.99999, and it was rounded down to 6). Or Thorgrim might get extra level somewhere.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
admin
admin

Tavern Dweller
posted May 16, 2018 11:30 PM

rounding

in heroes 3 rounding down means finding the largest integer less than the current integer. roundign up means finding the smallest integer largest than the given integer. So all the numbers 3.0, 3.4, 3.7 get rounded up to 4, all the numbers 2.3, 2.7, 3.0 get rounded down to 2.

you can actually see the specific place where this roundign issue appers in just0 post. In this line and before you have only floats as outputs
   28 spell power * 75% = 21.0
in the next line, you subtract floats and then round up to an integer
   28 spell power - 21.0 spell power = 7.0 spell power
   (rounding up to int) -> 8 spell power
like test shows.

same thing as the armorer bug,  i thought this was common knowlege...

seeing Sav write something different makes me confused, i might actully be wrong, cause he know so much more about heroes than me.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
foerno
foerno


Hired Hero
posted May 16, 2018 11:37 PM
Edited by foerno at 23:38, 16 May 2018.

i see. still, i would consider this a bug. since when floor(3.0) = 2? ;p are there any plans to fix this in hota?

and no, i'm sure thorgrim was level 30. try testing it yourselves.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
foerno
foerno


Hired Hero
posted May 20, 2018 09:40 PM

can you guys fix the bug with orb of vulnerability (black orb)? as far as i understand currently, this orb negates all magic immunities only if the the hero holding the artifact is casting a spell, but not when the opponent is the caster. in the latter case, only the orb holder's army is affected by the orb (wtf?).

so, if you have hero A with phoenixes and black orb, and hero B with phoenixes in their army, if hero B casts armageddon, only hero A's army will die. that sort of defies the purpose of this artifact, doesn't it?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
nordos
nordos


Known Hero
posted May 21, 2018 01:10 PM

I have a question regarding the HotA features - can these be integrated in the original game as well?
I especially mean things like 'using g to shoot a hex', 'combat movement speed 4' and similar, QoL changes. I recently started the SoD campaign again and I was shocked how slow the combat actually is....
Some other changes, like complete spell descriptions, acurately numbers of enemies and similar would be appreciated as well.

I guess to change these things, the exe would have to be hacked? Or is there a dll that does all these?

Otherwise, is there a possibility of changing the scenarios (campaigns) to the Vanilla ones to play in HotA itself, if my request would be too bothersome?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
just0
just0


Adventuring Hero
posted May 21, 2018 02:34 PM
Edited by just0 at 14:37, 21 May 2018.

nordos said:
I have a question regarding the HotA features - can these be integrated in the original game as well?
I especially mean things like 'using g to shoot a hex', 'combat movement speed 4' and similar, QoL changes. I recently started the SoD campaign again and I was shocked how slow the combat actually is....
Some other changes, like complete spell descriptions, acurately numbers of enemies and similar would be appreciated as well.
Something in between HoMM3 HD+ and HotA would be great! Possible names: SoD+, SoD++, or HD++. Or maybe the scope of HoMM3 HD+ would just need to be expanded a bit.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Erdamon
Erdamon


Adventuring Hero
posted May 21, 2018 02:51 PM

foerno said:
can you guys fix the bug with orb of vulnerability (black orb)? as far as i understand currently, this orb negates all magic immunities only if the the hero holding the artifact is casting a spell, but not when the opponent is the caster. in the latter case, only the orb holder's army is affected by the orb (wtf?).

so, if you have hero A with phoenixes and black orb, and hero B with phoenixes in their army, if hero B casts armageddon, only hero A's army will die. that sort of defies the purpose of this artifact, doesn't it?


The Orb is a mess. Saw you posted on my thread as well. Really hope the team can look into it. It's broken af, and not in a good way.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
nordos
nordos


Known Hero
posted May 21, 2018 04:35 PM

Something different: Any chance to see some new combination artifacts? For example:

- Armageddon's Blade: In the Campaign, you need to collect the Brimstone Armor, Shield of the Damned and Hellfire Sword. So, why not create a combination artifact out of these, granting your hero Armageddon + making your troops immune. I think that this wouldn't be too game breaking, the Lich Cloak is easier assembled and far worse (for example). In fact, it may need some additional functionality, granted that you find it so late in the game.

- 'Scrying Orb': A new artifact assembled by combining the Spyglass and Speculum. Gives you an additional 3 sight, and granting you the rogue ability 'spying' to gauge enemies.

- 'Third Eye': Combined by the Bird of Perception, Stoic Watchmen and Embleme of Cognizance. Eagle Eye is already a quite useless ability, and these artifacts don't make an impact even when worn all at once. I think (or at least hope) that the eagle eye skill is currently under development, so it would be useless to suggest some effect. At least it should allow you to have a 100% Chance with expert eagle eye, or something.


And regarding the change to the secondary skills: I am all for it. Though I have no particulary opinion regarding Resistance, I do think the change okay. Maybe because I only play vs AI, but I rarely use the skill and deem it as rather unimportant. Armorer, Offense and similar skills have just a far larger impact in general. Currently the skill still suffers from the 'I don't care if my Bless last 10 or 7 rounds, you will be dead by then anyway' syndrome, which is a fundamental issue.

There are others, even worse, skills, though. I mainly play random maps and even edited the templates to ban these skills:
- Scholar. Most of the times you can learn the spells anyway when returning, and level 5 spells are even untransmitable! An interesting change would be to remove the Wisdom requirement and have it scale like: 1-3, 4, 5 thus allowing a hero without wisdom to learn high level skills!
- Eagle Eye. Yeah, you can learn most of the spells in various ways, if you are really not getting it, you can simply take their fort and use their mage guild. Again, limiting it to level 4 spells seems lackluster. Sure, it is nice to learn resurrection, but... Some skills are simply so much better.
- First Aid. Let it resurrect and increase the health restore + tent healt.

Some other I find underperforming:
- Basllista. The damage is neglitable. Maybe increase the base damage based on Hero Level (and skill Level)?
- Learning. The impact is simply bad. Increasing its percentage and allowing to grant other hero exp on expert would be a nice change (i.e. a mentor skill, similar to HoMM 5, about 10-20% I guess)
- Mysticism. Let the mana regeneration boost be based on knowledge (+1 per knowlegde for basic, +2 for advanced and +4 for expert). Often you have wells around, or assemble a Wizards Well to use it over a turn once the mana is depleted.
- Luck/Leadership: Nice in the beginning, but you get so many (especially morale) boosts, that it doesn't really matter. Expert -> can't be reduced below 0. Though this is most of the times already impossible to do ^^
- Sorcery. Somone already mentioned that the percentage is too low. An interesting twist (especially for tower) would be to have an additional % per knowledge. Make that stat useful again


Some minor things: Earth and Air are too powerful, Both have high damage spells (Implosion, Meteor Shower, Chain Lightning) while providing map movement (Town Portal, Fly, Dimension Portal). Fire is only useful for Armageddon tactics and Water.... if you get Prayer or on a water-heavy map. Will the spells be rebalanced? For example, increasing the damage of Fireball/Inferno, but increasing the cost as well?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
bloodsucker
bloodsucker


Legendary Hero
posted May 21, 2018 05:24 PM

Please, leave Scholar like it is, it works perfectly and you can teach Town Portal, so the heroes can visit the towns with level 5 spells for almost no movement. Abolish Eagle Eye if you want but don't mess with Scholar, it works!

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jump To: « Prev Thread . . . Next Thread » This Popular Thread is 325 pages long: 1 40 80 120 160 200 240 280 ... 306 307 308 309 310 ... 320 325 · «PREV / NEXT»
Post New Poll Post New Topic Post New Reply

Page compiled in 0.0940 seconds