Heroes of Might and Magic Community
visiting hero! Register | Today's Posts | Games | Search! | FAQ/Rules | AvatarList | MemberList | Profile


Age of Heroes Headlines:  
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
6 Aug 2016: Troubled Heroes VII Expansion Release - read more
26 Apr 2016: Heroes VII XPack - Trial by Fire - Coming out in June! - read more
17 Apr 2016: Global Alternative Creatures MOD for H7 after 1.8 Patch! - read more
7 Mar 2016: Romero launches a Piano Sonata Album Kickstarter! - read more
19 Feb 2016: Heroes 5.5 RC6, Heroes VII patch 1.7 are out! - read more
13 Jan 2016: Horn of the Abyss 1.4 Available for Download! - read more
17 Dec 2015: Heroes 5.5 update, 1.6 out for H7 - read more
23 Nov 2015: H7 1.4 & 1.5 patches Released - read more
31 Oct 2015: First H7 patches are out, End of DoC development - read more
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
[X] Remove Ads
LOGIN:     Username:     Password:         [ Register ]
HOMM1: info forum | HOMM2: info forum | HOMM3: info mods forum | HOMM4: info CTG forum | HOMM5: info mods forum | MMH6: wiki forum | MMH7: wiki forum
Heroes Community > Heroes 5 - Modders Workshop > Thread: [MOD] Might & Magic: Heroes 5.5
Thread: [MOD] Might & Magic: Heroes 5.5 This Popular Thread is 423 pages long: 1 50 100 150 ... 152 153 154 155 156 ... 200 250 300 350 400 423 · «PREV / NEXT»
Skeggy
Skeggy


Promising
Famous Hero
posted April 07, 2016 10:13 AM

magnomagus said:
@SKeggy: NO! H55 is no longer based on racial skills so these should not be used as representative.


If you don't wish racial skills then make a proposal of main visual themes and colors.
Ease-of-access of choice of clicking on all-race skillwheel has to be made based on clear visual distinction, because otherwise, well, in my opinion, otherwise is just easier to use three main tree icons.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
thGryphn
thGryphn


Promising
Famous Hero
posted April 07, 2016 10:19 AM

Skeggy said:
thGryphn said:
A current screenshot of the in-game skill wheel, no perk icons though, so just an overview:

Now, there is no texture loaded other than the background and perk icons. The skill/perk descriptions, hero faction, hero class, primary stats and probabilities are all text.

This way it's very light and ready for translation into other languages

Hope you like it!



I was wondering, same question goes to Belisarius too, why are you using those anti-intuitive main faction icons? Why don't you use, for effective and intuitive faction visual orientation, more intuitive and visually more appealing icons, like, for example:

Knights, Paladins, Heretics - icon of Expert Trainer.
Rangers, Wardens and Druids icon of Ultimate Avenger.
Demon Lords, Gatekeepers and Sorcerers icon of Ultimate Gating.
Death Knights, Reavers and Necromancers icon of Ultimate Necromancy.
Seers, Wizards and Elementalists - icon of Ultimate Artificer.
Overlords, Assassins and Warlocks icon of Ultimate Irresistible Magic
Engineers, Runemages and Flamekeepers icon of Ultimate Runelore
Chieftains, Veterans and Shamans icon of Ultimate Blood Rage

Because, once more, those icons that are user for main visual orientation are anti-intuitive, visually non-appealing, and utterly ineffective for purpose of quick and effective visual orientation.

I can understand that you wish to make a symbolic new beginning, however, main faction icon simply have to be visually effective to make a quick choice based on a clear visual distinction without having a terrible headache or visual stress because they all look so bleakly.




Hmm, let's see, those icons you see for each of the classes are the icons for their specializations. Knight: Combat. Paladin: Light Magic. Heretic: Dark Magic. And goes on.

So, I did not decide on those icons. They're part of MMH5.5 and I'm merely using the class specialization information that defines the classes to differentiate between the classes. Yes, it is very unintuitive :insertsarcasm:

I'm sorry you didn't see that. I hope others did, and if they did not, I think they will have to make that connection, which shouldn't be very hard as, again, it's there by design.

Look, I understand well how important visual cues are in graphic design, and I'm trying to design something that's visually attractive, uncluttered and functional at the same time. I'm always open to suggestions but please have the courtesy first to ask about my choices before you condemn them

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Skeggy
Skeggy


Promising
Famous Hero
posted April 07, 2016 10:26 AM

thGryphn said:
Skeggy said:
thGryphn said:
A current screenshot of the in-game skill wheel, no perk icons though, so just an overview:

Now, there is no texture loaded other than the background and perk icons. The skill/perk descriptions, hero faction, hero class, primary stats and probabilities are all text.

This way it's very light and ready for translation into other languages

Hope you like it!



I was wondering, same question goes to Belisarius too, why are you using those anti-intuitive main faction icons? Why don't you use, for effective and intuitive faction visual orientation, more intuitive and visually more appealing icons, like, for example:

Knights, Paladins, Heretics - icon of Expert Trainer.
Rangers, Wardens and Druids icon of Ultimate Avenger.
Demon Lords, Gatekeepers and Sorcerers icon of Ultimate Gating.
Death Knights, Reavers and Necromancers icon of Ultimate Necromancy.
Seers, Wizards and Elementalists - icon of Ultimate Artificer.
Overlords, Assassins and Warlocks icon of Ultimate Irresistible Magic
Engineers, Runemages and Flamekeepers icon of Ultimate Runelore
Chieftains, Veterans and Shamans icon of Ultimate Blood Rage

Because, once more, those icons that are user for main visual orientation are anti-intuitive, visually non-appealing, and utterly ineffective for purpose of quick and effective visual orientation.

I can understand that you wish to make a symbolic new beginning, however, main faction icon simply have to be visually effective to make a quick choice based on a clear visual distinction without having a terrible headache or visual stress because they all look so bleakly.




Hmm, let's see, those icons you see for each of the classes are the icons for their specializations. Knight: Combat. Paladin: Light Magic. Heretic: Dark Magic. And goes on.

So, I did not decide on those icons. They're part of MMH5.5 and I'm merely using the class specialization information that defines the classes to differentiate between the classes. Yes, it is very unintuitive :insertsarcasm:

I'm sorry you didn't see that. I hope others did, and if they did not, I think they will have to make that connection, which shouldn't be very hard as, again, it's there by design.

Look, I understand well how important visual cues are in graphic design, and I'm trying to design something that's visually attractive, uncluttered and functional at the same time. I'm always open to suggestions but please have the courtesy first to ask about my choices before you condemn them



I apologize and I am sorry for my assumption that you chose and made the relevant icons.

Perhaps it is best to use racial shadow that very set of now-not-racially-defined heroes leave on the ground.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
thGryphn
thGryphn


Promising
Famous Hero
posted April 07, 2016 10:27 AM

@Skeggy
If you're talking only about the faction icons, I simply grabbed them from Ubi's site. Well, it's their Ashan lore that we're in and I suppose they're valid for MMH5.5 too. You can't say they're unintuitive, etc. because well, they are intuitive because Ubi has been using them consistently since H5...

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Skeggy
Skeggy


Promising
Famous Hero
posted April 07, 2016 10:32 AM

thGryphn said:
@Skeggy
If you're talking only about the faction icons, I simply grabbed them from Ubi's site. Well, it's their Ashan lore that we're in and I suppose they're valid for MMH5.5 too. You can't say they're unintuitive, etc. because well, they are intuitive because Ubi has been using them consistently since H5...



In my opinion, those icons do not carry enough of relevant visual difference for them to be used as basis of quick intuitive choice.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
magnomagus
magnomagus


Admirable
Legendary Hero
modding wizard
posted April 07, 2016 10:39 AM

I support ThGryphs choice, we have to follow ashan lore, removing them entirely is not an option because of some skills used 2 times.
____________
MMH5.5 Downloads | MMH5.5 Translations | MMH5.5 FAQ

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Skeggy
Skeggy


Promising
Famous Hero
posted April 07, 2016 10:46 AM

magnomagus said:
@ThGrypn: I don't mind if you just set lead,defense and shat light to 8% to make it even, but i won't change it in game, it doesn't really matter since these numbers are only rough 'more or less' indications, ingame the exact numbers will constantly change.

and yes shamans start with 'any shatter'.


I thought that every Shaman starts with exactly defined shatter:
Daughter of Chaos starts with Shatter Destructive
Daughter of Nature with Shutter Summoning
Daughter of Darkness with Shatter Light
Daughter of Light with Shatter Darkness.

And yes, if you wish to insist on those icons, at least allow the  removal  of the the windy flags and make main figure more distinctive (without the flag).

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
thGryphn
thGryphn


Promising
Famous Hero
posted April 07, 2016 10:47 AM

Skeggy said:
thGryphn said:
@Skeggy
If you're talking only about the faction icons, I simply grabbed them from Ubi's site. Well, it's their Ashan lore that we're in and I suppose they're valid for MMH5.5 too. You can't say they're unintuitive, etc. because well, they are intuitive because Ubi has been using them consistently since H5...



In my opinion, those icons do not carry enough of relevant visual difference for them to be used as basis of quick intuitive choice.


Not to argue, but on the contrary, I find them both visually good-looking and easily distinguishable, thanks to the color themes that also identifies the factions. I mean, icon content+color, what else are we looking for from a simple square texture to be distinguishable. You may say you're not familiar with those symbols, which would be another story. I am very familiar, and I believe most people who have played Ubi's Heroes incarnations are...

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
thGryphn
thGryphn


Promising
Famous Hero
posted April 07, 2016 10:53 AM

Skeggy said:

And yes, if you wish to insist on those icons, at least allow the  removal  of the the windy flags and make main figure more distinctive (without the flag).


I didn't make the icons, they came with the flags from Ubi's website. I too wish I could find those icons nicely without those flags. If anyone has them, I'll happily try those and compare. For now, I'm not bothered by the flags. They do bring the color element...

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Skeggy
Skeggy


Promising
Famous Hero
posted April 07, 2016 10:54 AM

thGryphn said:
Skeggy said:

And yes, if you wish to insist on those icons, at least allow the  removal  of the the windy flags and make main figure more distinctive (without the flag).


I didn't make the icons, they came with the flags from Ubi's website. I too wish I could find those icons nicely without those flags. If anyone has them, I'll happily try those and compare. For now, I'm not bothered by the flags. They do bring the color element...



Where exactly did you see those icons in Homm 5, 4 or 3?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Galaad
Galaad

Hero of Order
Li mort as morz, li vif as vis
posted April 07, 2016 11:02 AM

@thGryphn

Looks great !

I however see what Skeggy means, as you certainly know H5 got crazy retconned with mmh6&7, maybe that is what can be disturbing to some with the visuals you chose for factions icons, why not use the older versions from h5 (which imo also look better):


____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
thGryphn
thGryphn


Promising
Famous Hero
posted April 07, 2016 11:22 AM

Galaad said:
@thGryphn

Looks great !

I however see what Skeggy means, as you certainly know H5 got crazy retconned with mmh6&7, maybe that is what can be disturbing to some with the visuals you chose for factions icons, why not use the older versions from h5 (which imo also look better):




Awesomeness! Done! Thanks a lot, I hadn't seen these nice images! I'll see what I can do with them


Skeggy said:
thGryphn said:
Skeggy said:

And yes, if you wish to insist on those icons, at least allow the  removal  of the the windy flags and make main figure more distinctive (without the flag).


I didn't make the icons, they came with the flags from Ubi's website. I too wish I could find those icons nicely without those flags. If anyone has them, I'll happily try those and compare. For now, I'm not bothered by the flags. They do bring the color element...



Where exactly did you see those icons in Homm 5, 4 or 3?



Not 4 or 3, or course, they're not Ubi games. Galaad gave the link for H5. You don't necessarily see them in-game but they're the faction symbols in Ashan lore...

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
magnomagus
magnomagus


Admirable
Legendary Hero
modding wizard
posted April 07, 2016 11:26 AM

Uh... what is better about those H5 icons?, the H6-7 are much more consistent, the inferno H5 one doesn't even look its from the same game.
____________
MMH5.5 Downloads | MMH5.5 Translations | MMH5.5 FAQ

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Galaad
Galaad

Hero of Order
Li mort as morz, li vif as vis
posted April 07, 2016 11:45 AM
Edited by Galaad at 11:47, 07 Apr 2016.

On a visual level I find them more readable and on a conceptual level as said above I think is better to use the ones from h5 because of the retcons from the further games (not that I care much about Ashan lore anyway). Your mod your call though of course.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Belisarius
Belisarius


Promising
Known Hero
posted April 07, 2016 12:34 PM
Edited by Belisarius at 14:35, 07 Apr 2016.

Galaad said:
@thGryphn

Looks great !

I however see what Skeggy means, as you certainly know H5 got crazy retconned with mmh6&7, maybe that is what can be disturbing to some with the visuals you chose for factions icons, why not use the older versions from h5 (which imo also look better):





I am using these, instead of the h6-7 ones, for some practical reason too: they are with transparent background. So they cover less space from the background town theme video. If using h6-7 race symbols, that are not too small (so they are visible), a larger portion of background would be covered, resulting in the right part of the screen being almost completely filled with static pictures.
I also tried to put transparency on the 3 pictures representing racial Classes, but without satisfying result. On the other hand if those 3 pictures are made smaller, they would not be visible/readable enough on all resolutions.
I must however say that in some way I do like h6-7 race symbols somewhat better. They look good on gryphon skeelwheel. I would keep them as they are now in skeelwheel and keep the h5 ones on videos. I find those two sets of pictures consistent with each other, with just details in question. Details that are concerning different way of presentation: skillwheel and video.
That is if a better solution with h6-7 pictures for videos is not suggested.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
thGryphn
thGryphn


Promising
Famous Hero
posted April 07, 2016 05:34 PM

Belisarius said:

I am using these, instead of the h6-7 ones, for some practical reason too: they are with transparent background. So they cover less space from the background town theme video. If using h6-7 race symbols, that are not too small (so they are visible), a larger portion of background would be covered, resulting in the right part of the screen being almost completely filled with static pictures.
I also tried to put transparency on the 3 pictures representing racial Classes, but without satisfying result. On the other hand if those 3 pictures are made smaller, they would not be visible/readable enough on all resolutions.
I must however say that in some way I do like h6-7 race symbols somewhat better. They look good on gryphon skeelwheel. I would keep them as they are now in skeelwheel and keep the h5 ones on videos. I find those two sets of pictures consistent with each other, with just details in question. Details that are concerning different way of presentation: skillwheel and video.
That is if a better solution with h6-7 pictures for videos is not suggested.



One thing is for certain: I love the current faction icons. They're colorful, very good quality icons that goes very well with the colorful skill/perk icons on the skill wheel. Overall, there is a coherence in the skill wheel design, not to brag. Earthy colors, and an overall color-based intuition and information. For example, if you haven't noticed, the reason the skill wheel is colored that way is due to the skill probabilities. Specifically, you're looking at the current Barbarian skill wheel.


 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
magnomagus
magnomagus


Admirable
Legendary Hero
modding wizard
posted April 07, 2016 06:41 PM

I agree, there is no reason to change something that is already good, it is work enough already.
____________
MMH5.5 Downloads | MMH5.5 Translations | MMH5.5 FAQ

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
thGryphn
thGryphn


Promising
Famous Hero
posted April 07, 2016 09:53 PM
Edited by thGryphn at 21:55, 07 Apr 2016.

Alright, I couldn't resist trying the new logos and I think I got something good. So much so that I'm impossibly conflicted. Help me out, which design is better, upper ones or the lower ones?



Edit: Observe the new wheel

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
EotT
EotT

Tavern Dweller
posted April 07, 2016 10:57 PM

I don't know which one is better, but I like the structure of the second one: The faction image is visually separated from the skill images.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
etore
etore


Adventuring Hero
posted April 07, 2016 11:36 PM

The above looks better, but I think if you use the same shape in the others they will be as good as. And even better without the banners/flags that hinder the images.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jump To: « Prev Thread . . . Next Thread » This Popular Thread is 423 pages long: 1 50 100 150 ... 152 153 154 155 156 ... 200 250 300 350 400 423 · «PREV / NEXT»
Post New Poll Post New Topic Post New Reply

Page compiled in 0.1137 seconds