Heroes of Might and Magic Community
visiting hero! Register | Today's Posts | Games | Search! | FAQ/Rules | AvatarList | MemberList | Profile


Age of Heroes Headlines:  
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
6 Aug 2016: Troubled Heroes VII Expansion Release - read more
26 Apr 2016: Heroes VII XPack - Trial by Fire - Coming out in June! - read more
17 Apr 2016: Global Alternative Creatures MOD for H7 after 1.8 Patch! - read more
7 Mar 2016: Romero launches a Piano Sonata Album Kickstarter! - read more
19 Feb 2016: Heroes 5.5 RC6, Heroes VII patch 1.7 are out! - read more
13 Jan 2016: Horn of the Abyss 1.4 Available for Download! - read more
17 Dec 2015: Heroes 5.5 update, 1.6 out for H7 - read more
23 Nov 2015: H7 1.4 & 1.5 patches Released - read more
31 Oct 2015: First H7 patches are out, End of DoC development - read more
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
[X] Remove Ads
LOGIN:     Username:     Password:         [ Register ]
New Server | HOMM1: info forum | HOMM2: info forum | HOMM3: info forum | HOMM4: info forum | HOMM5: info forum | MMH6: wiki forum | MMH7: wiki forum
Heroes Community > Heroes 7+ Altar of Wishes > Thread: What to do with Dark Elves and Faceless
Thread: What to do with Dark Elves and Faceless This thread is 7 pages long: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · «PREV / NEXT»
GenyaArikado
GenyaArikado


Bad-mannered
Supreme Hero
posted May 16, 2017 01:03 AM

Mediczero said:
We should keep the dark elves, they are not a bad idea. But their role in the faction should be changed so the are not the supreme rulers anymore. Probably just 1-2 units, maybe 3 if it fits.


They were only two in H7. Although I'd have prefered if it had been the Asassin OR the Tracker AND the Matriarch/Priestess/Sorceress. The Assassin archetype and the Evil Priest-Sorceress are THE two dark elf archetypes.

Regarding Minotaur prominence INSTEAD of the Dark Elves, well, that's one of the few times i'm glad Ubi likes to ignore advice done by these forum members.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Rimgrabber
Rimgrabber


Hired Hero
Wearer of Fedoras
posted May 16, 2017 02:10 AM

GenyaArikado said:

Regarding Minotaur prominence INSTEAD of the Dark Elves, well, that's one of the few times i'm glad Ubi likes to ignore advice done by these forum members.


Idk I think Minotaurs would be better than Dark Elves for Dungeon, although I don't think Dungeon works as a racial faction. Better to just have one Minotaur unit(more Minotaur Heroes though) and no Dark Elves if you'd asked me.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Sligneris
Sligneris


Supreme Hero
posted May 16, 2017 05:11 AM
Edited by Sligneris at 15:44, 16 May 2017.

verriker said:
Sligernis said:
Not that there's any problem with having ideas of your own, but that does not exactly sound realistic.
actually they had already ditched it for Antagarich in the latest sweatshop spinoffs lol
Did they? What games are you talking of, and do they even count?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Mediczero
Mediczero


Famous Hero
Warlord of the sea
posted May 16, 2017 07:48 AM

Honestly, minotaurs doesn't work alone as a racial faction, but together with a few dark elves it should work.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
verriker
verriker


Honorable
Legendary Hero
Walterwin Mitty
posted May 16, 2017 10:58 AM

Sligneris said:
Did they? What games are you talking of, and do they even count?


check an Erwin video of the Era of Chaos with the very fake news versions of Catherine, Gelu, Solmyr, Lord Haart, Crag 'Ack, Sandro, Lich King Gryphonheart and all our old pals from the Heroes III universe cheers lol

Mediczero said:
Honestly, minotaurs doesn't work alone as a racial faction, but together with a few dark elves it should work.


to be honest the Minotaurs work great as a racial faction cheers lol
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
MattII
MattII


Legendary Hero
posted May 16, 2017 11:32 AM

Mediczero said:
Honestly, minotaurs doesn't work alone as a racial faction, but together with a few dark elves it should work.
Right on the first part, dead wrong on the second IMO. By big issue with dark elves is that they're so unimaginative, though that complaint can be made of elves in general. I mena, they don't even go out of their way to find a good name, no, it's dark elves, because they're elves, who are (theoretically) dark and edgy. Seriously? Where's the interest there?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Mediczero
Mediczero


Famous Hero
Warlord of the sea
posted May 16, 2017 11:51 AM

MattII said:
Right on the first part, dead wrong on the second IMO. By big issue with dark elves is that they're so unimaginative, though that complaint can be made of elves in general. I mena, they don't even go out of their way to find a good name, no, it's dark elves, because they're elves, who are (theoretically) dark and edgy. Seriously? Where's the interest there?

Dark elves doubtfully would be the name they have given themselves, that would probably be something elves fitting their lore, fx elvish for "exiled ones" if that was their background. Dark elves would be the common name used by other races. As for making them more interesting, it depends on the lore.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Avonu
Avonu


Promising
Supreme Hero
Embracing light and darkness
posted May 16, 2017 12:07 PM

Mediczero said:
Honestly, minotaurs doesn't work alone as a racial faction


Are you sure?
____________
"When someone desires information, they come to me."
"Details are everything."
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi!

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
MattII
MattII


Legendary Hero
posted May 16, 2017 12:52 PM
Edited by MattII at 12:56, 16 May 2017.

Mediczero said:
Dark elves doubtfully would be the name they have given themselves, that would probably be something elves fitting their lore, fx elvish for "exiled ones" if that was their background. Dark elves would be the common name used by other races. As for making them more interesting, it depends on the lore.
Look, even D&D uses the term Drow (Tolkien called his Morquendi, but they wouldn't be considered dark elves in the common sense). Oh, and I can find no real reference to any name but 'dark elves'.

Avonu said:
Mediczero said:
Honestly, minotaurs doesn't work alone as a racial faction


Are you sure?
that isn't convincing IMO, the Minotaurs are too similar to each other.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Mediczero
Mediczero


Famous Hero
Warlord of the sea
posted May 16, 2017 01:21 PM
Edited by Mediczero at 13:22, 16 May 2017.

MattII said:
Look, even D&D uses the term Drow (Tolkien called his Morquendi, but they wouldn't be considered dark elves in the common sense). Oh, and I can find no real reference to any name but 'dark elves'.

In warhammer the dark elves are commonly just called dark elves, but they actually call themselves "Druchii", and the elder scrolls does something similar.
The main point is that dark elves isn't what they call themselves, but rather what they are just refereed to as by people who cannot speak elvish.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
MattII
MattII


Legendary Hero
posted May 16, 2017 01:54 PM

Mediczero said:
In warhammer the dark elves are commonly just called dark elves, but they actually call themselves "Druchii", and the elder scrolls does something similar.
The main point is that dark elves isn't what they call themselves, but rather what they are just refereed to as by people who cannot speak elvish.
Well Ubisoft hasn't seen fit to come up with their own name yet that we know of.

And this is beside the point. The point is that dark elves are boring option used only by fantasy creators who aren't up to the job.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Mediczero
Mediczero


Famous Hero
Warlord of the sea
posted May 16, 2017 02:10 PM

I'll argue that everything can be interesting if done correctly. There is no such thing as a bad idea, only poor execution.

Also, might I add to the subjective nature of "dark elves are boring"? YOU might think dark elves are boring, while somebody else might think they are an interesting race. They again might think orcs are the most boring race, and nothing but cliche violent barbarians.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
MattII
MattII


Legendary Hero
posted May 16, 2017 02:27 PM
Edited by MattII at 14:34, 16 May 2017.

I see your point. However, this being Ubisoft, it's not a case of if they screw up, but how they screw up. Seriously, this is a company that somehow, somehow managed to screw up TETRIS! I mean, FFS, it's a game two years older than the company itself, and was developed in the Soviet Union.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Mediczero
Mediczero


Famous Hero
Warlord of the sea
posted May 16, 2017 02:36 PM

I never said Ubisoft was doing anything right, I was just defending the dark elves as a concept.

Ubi is really bad at what it is supposed to do.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Elvin
Elvin


Admirable
Omnipresent Hero
Tastes like chicken
posted May 16, 2017 02:45 PM

MattII said:
Seriously, this is a company that somehow, somehow managed to screw up TETRIS! I mean, FFS, it's a game two years older than the company itself, and was developed in the Soviet Union.

LOL!

I decided to look into it and I was not disappointed Good job guys.
____________
Being human is a roller coaster ride of emotions during rainstorms and sunshine, sprinkled with moments when you can almost reach the stars.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Avonu
Avonu


Promising
Supreme Hero
Embracing light and darkness
posted May 16, 2017 03:23 PM
Edited by Avonu at 15:24, 16 May 2017.

MattII said:
that isn't convincing IMO, the Minotaurs are too similar to each other.

Yes, they are. But nevertheless you can see, that it's possible to create whole race from Minotaurs. You just need a little imagination - one thing which Ashan lacks.
After all Might and Magic 8 had Minotaurs as separate race and culture and they also had nice backstory (same for Trolls and Dark Elves). It would be harder to create Minotaur faction for Heroes game (unless you want to end with 6 Minotaurs and a dragon ) but it's not impossible. Even in Ashan you can do that - just look at Fortress in Heroes V and in Heroes VII.
____________
"When someone desires information, they come to me."
"Details are everything."
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi!

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Elvin
Elvin


Admirable
Omnipresent Hero
Tastes like chicken
posted May 16, 2017 03:26 PM

It would probably feel like a tauren faction though.
____________
Being human is a roller coaster ride of emotions during rainstorms and sunshine, sprinkled with moments when you can almost reach the stars.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Avonu
Avonu


Promising
Supreme Hero
Embracing light and darkness
posted May 16, 2017 03:28 PM

Probably - I never played WoW, so I can't tell. I remember only Orcs faction from Warcraft 1-3.
____________
"When someone desires information, they come to me."
"Details are everything."
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi!

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Sligneris
Sligneris


Supreme Hero
posted May 16, 2017 03:35 PM
Edited by Sligneris at 15:36, 16 May 2017.

verriker said:
Sligneris said:
Did they? What games are you talking of, and do they even count?
check an Erwin video of the Era of Chaos with the very fake news versions of Catherine, Gelu, Solmyr, Lord Haart, Crag 'Ack, Sandro, Lich King Gryphonheart and all our old pals from the Heroes III universe cheers lol
Well, so... Shouldn't you guys be happy about that or something?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
verriker
verriker


Honorable
Legendary Hero
Walterwin Mitty
posted May 16, 2017 03:41 PM

Sligneris said:
Well, so... Shouldn't you guys be happy about that or something?


why lol
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jump To: « Prev Thread . . . Next Thread » This thread is 7 pages long: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · «PREV / NEXT»
Post New Poll    Post New Topic    Post New Reply

Page compiled in 0.0405 seconds