Heroes of Might and Magic Community
visiting hero! Register | Today's Posts | Games | Search! | FAQ/Rules | AvatarList | MemberList | Profile


Age of Heroes Headlines:  
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
6 Aug 2016: Troubled Heroes VII Expansion Release - read more
26 Apr 2016: Heroes VII XPack - Trial by Fire - Coming out in June! - read more
17 Apr 2016: Global Alternative Creatures MOD for H7 after 1.8 Patch! - read more
7 Mar 2016: Romero launches a Piano Sonata Album Kickstarter! - read more
19 Feb 2016: Heroes 5.5 RC6, Heroes VII patch 1.7 are out! - read more
13 Jan 2016: Horn of the Abyss 1.4 Available for Download! - read more
17 Dec 2015: Heroes 5.5 update, 1.6 out for H7 - read more
23 Nov 2015: H7 1.4 & 1.5 patches Released - read more
31 Oct 2015: First H7 patches are out, End of DoC development - read more
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
[X] Remove Ads
LOGIN:     Username:     Password:         [ Register ]
New Server | HOMM1: info forum | HOMM2: info forum | HOMM3: info forum | HOMM4: info forum | HOMM5: info forum | MMH6: wiki forum | MMH7: wiki forum
Heroes Community > Heroes 3.5 - WoG and Beyond > Thread: Is there a full tutorial to make an H3 VCMI or ERA town?
Thread: Is there a full tutorial to make an H3 VCMI or ERA town?
NimoStar
NimoStar


Promising
Supreme Hero
Modding the Unmoddable
posted June 29, 2018 05:25 AM

Is there a full tutorial to make an H3 VCMI or ERA town?

I have the rarer knowledge about how to completely edit any H4 town, but I have no idea where to start for an H3 town. Is there any tutorial for this effect? Or do you have to take information from here and there to make it work?


Also, as I understand, ERA towns have to replace existing ones, while VCMI can be completely new and compatible with others. Is this correct?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
fiorin
fiorin


Promising
Known Hero
ctrl + s
posted June 29, 2018 06:18 AM

NimoStar said:
I have the rarer knowledge about how to completely edit any H4 town, but I have no idea where to start for an H3 town. Is there any tutorial for this effect? Or do you have to take information from here and there to make it work?


Also, as I understand, ERA towns have to replace existing ones, while VCMI can be completely new and compatible with others. Is this correct?


VCMI towns are independent, so its possible add new without replacing old ones. The VCMI wiki cover almost every detail on that: https://wiki.vcmi.eu/Town_Format.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
NimoStar
NimoStar


Promising
Supreme Hero
Modding the Unmoddable
posted June 29, 2018 07:24 AM

Interesting. I see the file format but would be better to watch a finished example file too to compare some things (how to fill out cetain fields in a valid and readable way given the expected format).

Upon downloading a town, is this file visible? Or do you need a special tool to extract it from another file?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
avatar
avatar


Promising
Supreme Hero
posted June 29, 2018 08:09 AM

No, all is easily visible. Sometimes you must just unzip files.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
NimoStar
NimoStar


Promising
Supreme Hero
Modding the Unmoddable
posted June 29, 2018 07:04 PM

That's great, thanks. When I have some time I will be sure to take a look. I always wanted to make my own H3 towns after trying with H4 ones, where customization is more limited.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
fiorin
fiorin


Promising
Known Hero
ctrl + s
posted June 30, 2018 01:23 AM

NimoStar said:
Interesting. I see the file format but would be better to watch a finished example file too to compare some things (how to fill out cetain fields in a valid and readable way given the expected format).

Upon downloading a town, is this file visible? Or do you need a special tool to extract it from another file?


If you download a town, the file is visible on a .json. Just search on main mod.json for the 'faction' part on structure. That indicates the town/configs .json. Go to file, but my advices on your own. Break the faction file on parts to easily manage. Hota port mod have a nice structure suggestion

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
NimoStar
NimoStar


Promising
Supreme Hero
Modding the Unmoddable
posted July 11, 2018 03:39 PM

Another question. In the past I remember that VCMI towns could not have custom functionality on buildings (example, program something like a Dwarven Treasury). Has this been expanded?

Also, from the wiki, I at least understand you can add some of the default original H3 "special buildings" tyo your custom town?

https://wiki.vcmi.eu/Building_bonuses#unique_buildings

If instead of "skeleton" you could hve any creature, it would be a good functionality jump.

Also, are all the factors in "trade" interchangeable or just some limitd hardcoded values? Say, could you use skeleton - skills or is this out of limits ?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
avatar
avatar


Promising
Supreme Hero
posted July 11, 2018 06:08 PM

NimoStar said:
Another question. In the past I remember that VCMI towns could not have custom functionality on buildings (example, program something like a Dwarven Treasury). Has this been expanded?


Unfortunatelly, it wasn't expanded yet, all special buildings in new towns stay 'empty' and do nothing for now. As far I know, nobody from vcmi team is working to add such funcionality.

At wiki site this article is marked as 'work-in-progres' but was never implemented.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
NimoStar
NimoStar


Promising
Supreme Hero
Modding the Unmoddable
posted July 13, 2018 09:10 AM

Oh. Such a shame. Seriously hope someone gets in on it. If I was a programmer this would be my priority to add. Special buildings are what gives personality to a town...

But well, can we use existing ones? Like adding skeleton transformer or escape tunnel to our custom town?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
avatar
avatar


Promising
Supreme Hero
posted July 13, 2018 09:39 AM

NimoStar said:

But well, can we use existing ones? Like adding skeleton transformer or escape tunnel to our custom town?


It's impossible either
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Macron1
Macron1


Supreme Hero
posted July 13, 2018 05:23 PM

avatar said:
NimoStar said:
Another question. In the past I remember that VCMI towns could not have custom functionality on buildings (example, program something like a Dwarven Treasury). Has this been expanded?


Unfortunatelly, it wasn't expanded yet, all special buildings in new towns stay 'empty' and do nothing for now. As far I know, nobody from vcmi team is working to add such funcionality.

At wiki site this article is marked as 'work-in-progres' but was never implemented.


Works on implementing lua/erm started.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jump To: « Prev Thread . . . Next Thread »
Post New Poll    Post New Topic    Post New Reply

Page compiled in 0.0287 seconds