Heroes of Might and Magic Community
visiting hero! Register | Today's Posts | Games | Search! | FAQ/Rules | AvatarList | MemberList | Profile


Age of Heroes Headlines:  
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
6 Aug 2016: Troubled Heroes VII Expansion Release - read more
26 Apr 2016: Heroes VII XPack - Trial by Fire - Coming out in June! - read more
17 Apr 2016: Global Alternative Creatures MOD for H7 after 1.8 Patch! - read more
7 Mar 2016: Romero launches a Piano Sonata Album Kickstarter! - read more
19 Feb 2016: Heroes 5.5 RC6, Heroes VII patch 1.7 are out! - read more
13 Jan 2016: Horn of the Abyss 1.4 Available for Download! - read more
17 Dec 2015: Heroes 5.5 update, 1.6 out for H7 - read more
23 Nov 2015: H7 1.4 & 1.5 patches Released - read more
31 Oct 2015: First H7 patches are out, End of DoC development - read more
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
[X] Remove Ads
LOGIN:     Username:     Password:         [ Register ]
HOMM1: info forum | HOMM2: info forum | HOMM3: info mods forum | HOMM4: info CTG forum | HOMM5: info mods forum | MMH6: wiki forum | MMH7: wiki forum
Heroes Community > Library of Enlightenment > Thread: Ubisoft selling the HoMM rights
Thread: Ubisoft selling the HoMM rights This thread is 2 pages long: 1 2 · «PREV
Baronus
Baronus


Promising
Supreme Hero
posted May 11, 2020 07:07 PM

Impossible! It is danger for Ubi lost these big title because someone would make great games and beat Ubi brands! Concurency! Better is to have brand and keep it closed than risk selling for a small money! Who give now a lot? And then to beware that it can be hit!? No!

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Ghost
Ghost


Legendary Hero
Therefore I am
posted May 11, 2020 07:32 PM
Edited by Ghost at 19:33, 11 May 2020.

Baronus said:
Better is to have brand and keep it closed than risk selling for a small money! Who give now a lot?


Maybe I read a Finnish gaming magazine told Ubi said HoMM and MM could a million class, and Ubi isn't selling a million. Why I remember thing? If matter isn't true. So an old thing

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Romanov77
Romanov77


Known Hero
posted May 11, 2020 11:11 PM

I doubt ubi fears losing a profitable license.

The suits most likely are looking for some fortnite clone as the future of gaming.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
e-lysander
e-lysander


Known Hero
Lysander
posted May 12, 2020 02:31 AM

It just puzzles me how they've handled this franchise since VI. I feel like they're holding onto it because of its legacy and name recognition, but not much else. If they understand those aspects of the series they should handle it with more care. VI did poorly, so they outsourced VII to yet another unknown company to make what feels like a glorified mobile game with recycled assets. I would have at the very least expected them to lean more into re-releases and remasters, but they seem to just randomly recent a generic fantasy product and slap the "Might & Magic" branding on it. What are they thinking?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
FirePaladin
FirePaladin


Supreme Hero
Undercover modder
posted May 12, 2020 10:26 AM

True. And looking at other games like AC, just imagine what they could have done if properly handled the franchise and not necessarily let Erwin put spiders and launch the game too early with small funds.
____________
"Goblins use pistols because a shotgun recoil would kick them off the ground flying."

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
Stevie
Stevie


Responsible
Undefeatable Hero
posted May 12, 2020 01:34 PM

They're not selling the rights. It wouldn't make any sense.

We know they're still trying to push the name on the mobile market because, honestly, the franchise's IP just fits. China's still a tremendous cash cow to milk and they wouldn't miss out on the opportunity. We also know they didn't put M&M on a shelf, latest developments indicate they're trying to have an auto battler of their own in the form of M&M Chess Royale. If they had any plans to sell the franchise for years, we'd know for sure, not through some rumors.

Also, would anyone really believe they'd throw even more money at it if it didn't sell? It's actually quite simple business sense: if it sells -> reason to invest, reason to have people work on it; if it doesn't -> no reason to invest, no reason to waste human resources. Logically, they are willing to invest, which only means they want to make a profit, and not just "want" to make a profit, they "see" the profit, if there's a market share they want to fill that demand. That is only common sense and good business. They are not gamblers, they have an analytical, data-driven mindset.
____________
Guide to a Great Heroes Game
The Young Traveler

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
FirePaladin
FirePaladin


Supreme Hero
Undercover modder
posted May 12, 2020 01:56 PM

I know. But it didn't sell well mainly because:

1. Erwin.
2. Changing mechanics too much.
3. Lower funds.
____________
"Goblins use pistols because a shotgun recoil would kick them off the ground flying."

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
weilan
weilan


Hired Hero
posted May 26, 2020 04:12 PM

I wish they would sell the rights, but they won't. The sad thing is they will keep releasing more mediocre games and people will keep buying them thinking "This time it's gonna be better...".

This marketing tactic has worked for World of Warcraft for 16 years as the game keeps falling to a new low, same goes for The Elder Scrolls Online, in those two cases it's worse, because those are games-as-a-service, where you can't really play an old version unless there is a private server and you still need people for some content, whereas with single player games like HoMM3, one person can play by themselves with AI.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
FirePaladin
FirePaladin


Supreme Hero
Undercover modder
posted May 26, 2020 04:13 PM
Edited by FirePaladin at 16:13, 26 May 2020.

weilan said:
I wish they would sell the rights, but they won't. The sad thing is they will keep releasing more mediocre games and people will keep buying them thinking "This time it's gonna be better...".

This marketing tactic has worked for World of Warcraft for 16 years as the game keeps falling to a new low, same goes for The Elder Scrolls Online, in those two cases it's worse, because those are games-as-a-service, where you can't really play an old version unless there is a private server and you still need people for some content, whereas with single player games like HoMM3, one person can play by themselves with AI.


Buy them? I guess you're mistaken...

(Not talking about me, tho. I got full H7 at 75% sale ONLY for the mod)
____________
"Goblins use pistols because a shotgun recoil would kick them off the ground flying."

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
weilan
weilan


Hired Hero
posted May 26, 2020 04:47 PM

FirePaladin said:
weilan said:
I wish they would sell the rights, but they won't. The sad thing is they will keep releasing more mediocre games and people will keep buying them thinking "This time it's gonna be better...".

This marketing tactic has worked for World of Warcraft for 16 years as the game keeps falling to a new low, same goes for The Elder Scrolls Online, in those two cases it's worse, because those are games-as-a-service, where you can't really play an old version unless there is a private server and you still need people for some content, whereas with single player games like HoMM3, one person can play by themselves with AI.


Buy them? I guess you're mistaken...

(Not talking about me, tho. I got full H7 at 75% sale ONLY for the mod)


https://steamdb.info/app/321960/graphs/

As you can see people are still being mislead and buying those, you'd be surprised to see how many confused people there are who believe that the botched HoMM3 on Steam is the only modern way to get a copy of the game. GOG doesn't even cross their mind, they still play the game without the expansions and think it's a fair trade.

Just as how they play HoMM7, or should I say MMH7, and some are even OK with this. Personally, even if you give me a free copy of it, I would probably play it for like 10 minutes and then uninstall it and never touch it again.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
FirePaladin
FirePaladin


Supreme Hero
Undercover modder
posted May 26, 2020 05:01 PM

True.
____________
"Goblins use pistols because a shotgun recoil would kick them off the ground flying."

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
avatar
avatar


Promising
Supreme Hero
posted May 26, 2020 05:11 PM

weilan said:
Personally, even if you give me a free copy of it, I would probably play it for like 10 minutes and then uninstall it and never touch it again.

But... why? This version has 95% content of Heroes Complete package and millions players in 1996 played this version a lot and didn't think it was crap.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
FirePaladin
FirePaladin


Supreme Hero
Undercover modder
posted May 26, 2020 05:18 PM

He was talking about H7.
____________
"Goblins use pistols because a shotgun recoil would kick them off the ground flying."

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
weilan
weilan


Hired Hero
posted May 26, 2020 05:19 PM

avatar said:
weilan said:
Personally, even if you give me a free copy of it, I would probably play it for like 10 minutes and then uninstall it and never touch it again.

But... why? This version has 95% content of Heroes Complete package and millions players in 1996 played this version a lot and didn't think it was crap.


It's a disgrace to the HoMM name. Call me a purist, a fanboy or whatever you feel like, but I've tried some of the new games and I just don't enjoy them, they don't feel like HoMM games at all to me. And I also have HoMM3, which has provided me with fun for 21 years (I'm 28 now) so I don't see why I should be playing any other game if HoMM3 + HoTA is still so much fun to me, anything else feels like a waste of time.

The only exception would be Songs of Conquest, which I will give a chance only because it's has a 2.5D pixel style and the developers seem like HoMM2-3 fans, since the game will have a Map Editor and Random Map Generator in the future.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Oddball13579
Oddball13579


Legendary Hero
Grandmaster of the Hunt
posted May 26, 2020 09:05 PM

The only thing I liked about 6 (I think it was 6 that added this mechanic. Might've been 5) was the town conversion. I just thought that that was a really neat idea.

But yeah, I haven't touched any new HoMM game in years. I bought 6 years ago and have like 25 hours on it and the last time I played it was 2017. HoMM3 + HotA is literally all you need.  

HoMM just keep getting more and more mediocre and worse as they come out. Mainly because Ubisoft's motto is "Make it look pretty because that's what gamers want nowadays." They focus on graphics first and that is it. Everything else is secondary. Ubi thinks that it is pretty graphics that makes or breaks a game, completely ignoring story, soundtrack, gameplay, and lore.

And to that I say "Beautiful trash is still trash".
____________
"Just slide her down a bit farther. I could wear her like a hat." - Gnomes
"I would have needed to dislocate my jaw to fit it inside my hole." - Blizzardboy

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
frostymuaddib
frostymuaddib


Promising
Supreme Hero
育碧是白痴
posted May 26, 2020 09:13 PM

I'll throw in my opinion. Ubi won't sell the franchise, they will milk it with mobile games.

As for the HoMM series, I still think H5 had great potential. I like, and still play H3, but H5 was refreshment - it took the features of H3 and upgraded them with skillwheel, alt upgrades and scripting language for map editor. Yes, it had it's problems with AI, optimization, and graphics (I won't even comment on story and worldbuilding) but I firmly believe that it was the best foundation for future games (H6 or H7). But, Ubi decided to create H6 and base the future of the series on that game... The rest, we unfortunately know.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
FirePaladin
FirePaladin


Supreme Hero
Undercover modder
posted May 26, 2020 09:16 PM
Edited by FirePaladin at 21:17, 26 May 2020.

Oddball13579 said:
The only thing I liked about 6 (I think it was 6 that added this mechanic. Might've been 5) was the town conversion. I just thought that that was a really neat idea.

But yeah, I haven't touched any new HoMM game in years. I bought 6 years ago and have like 25 hours on it and the last time I played it was 2017. HoMM3 + HotA is literally all you need.  

HoMM just keep getting more and more mediocre and worse as they come out. Mainly because Ubisoft's motto is "Make it look pretty because that's what gamers want nowadays." They focus on graphics first and that is it. Everything else is secondary. Ubi thinks that it is pretty graphics that makes or breaks a game, completely ignoring story, soundtrack, gameplay, and lore.

And to that I say "Beautiful trash is still trash".


Wait, did H7 really look beautiful? I think you're overestimating it.

@frostymuaddib

Yep, unless an absurdly big pile of cash is offered. This doesn't mean it will happen.
____________
"Goblins use pistols because a shotgun recoil would kick them off the ground flying."

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
Oddball13579
Oddball13579


Legendary Hero
Grandmaster of the Hunt
posted May 26, 2020 09:19 PM
Edited by Oddball13579 at 21:21, 26 May 2020.

Ooooo good point.

I forgot about the mobile aspect. Which is just so sad really. To see this beloved and well known and respected game franchise turned into nothing more than a cash cow.

It's just so sad. Game developers put their hearts and souls into a franchise and then the company just continues to beat it with a stick and milk it and ruin it. Completely disregarding the hard work that goes into it and just seeing it as a money maker. It's depressing really.

@FirePaladin Okay true. H7 was just wonky and disproportional. You got me there.
____________
"Just slide her down a bit farther. I could wear her like a hat." - Gnomes
"I would have needed to dislocate my jaw to fit it inside my hole." - Blizzardboy

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
NimoStar
NimoStar


Responsible
Supreme Hero
Modding the Unmoddable
posted June 10, 2020 10:05 PM

Quote:
Even if the series rights were put on a bid - which honestly makes little sense for that time - ubi went ahead and made H6 and H7 since. So there is zero relevance with.. anything really.


h7 was ended in 2016 just so you know. the forum topic said sell attempt in 2017

there is over 4 years without a main line heroes game.
____________
https://www.moddb.com/mods/greatest-mod

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jump To: « Prev Thread . . . Next Thread » This thread is 2 pages long: 1 2 · «PREV
Post New Poll    Post New Topic    Post New Reply

Page compiled in 0.0502 seconds