Heroes of Might and Magic Community
visiting hero! Register | Today's Posts | Games | Search! | FAQ/Rules | AvatarList | MemberList | Profile


Age of Heroes Headlines:  
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
6 Aug 2016: Troubled Heroes VII Expansion Release - read more
26 Apr 2016: Heroes VII XPack - Trial by Fire - Coming out in June! - read more
17 Apr 2016: Global Alternative Creatures MOD for H7 after 1.8 Patch! - read more
7 Mar 2016: Romero launches a Piano Sonata Album Kickstarter! - read more
19 Feb 2016: Heroes 5.5 RC6, Heroes VII patch 1.7 are out! - read more
13 Jan 2016: Horn of the Abyss 1.4 Available for Download! - read more
17 Dec 2015: Heroes 5.5 update, 1.6 out for H7 - read more
23 Nov 2015: H7 1.4 & 1.5 patches Released - read more
31 Oct 2015: First H7 patches are out, End of DoC development - read more
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
[X] Remove Ads
LOGIN:     Username:     Password:         [ Register ]
New Server | HOMM1: info forum | HOMM2: info forum | HOMM3: info forum | HOMM4: info forum | HOMM5: info forum | MMH6: wiki forum | MMH7: wiki forum
Heroes Community > MapHaven Guild > Thread: "A Strategic Quest" remake for HotA
Thread: "A Strategic Quest" remake for HotA
przemo877
przemo877


Hired Hero
Map Renovator
posted January 12, 2018 01:47 PM

"A Strategic Quest" remake for HotA

Hello in 2018! After a long break I finally found enough time to finish my HoMM1 campaign remake in HotA.

A Strategic Quest
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oik5d3gp81fy5zb/A%20Strategic%20Quest.h3c?dl=0

Few things that you should know:
- Kilburn carries over to the next maps,
- it has selectable difficulty. It is in few moments quite difficult, altough not as hard as last map of my PoL remake (or maybe it was just me?),
- the maps are as close to the original as possible, although I took some liberty in a few places to make the experience more unique,
- I also restricted magic guilds in earlier maps a little bit in order to make them harder, besides Morglin writes in letters that his army wasn't that proficient in magic from the very start and I wanted to recreate it,
- Fly, Dimension Doors, Town Portal, Water Walking and Boat manipulation spells are banned on all maps, as well as Diplomacy,
- from map 3 on you will be able to read original letters that were inside of HoMM1 manual. They are split over a few days in each scenario just in case they were too boring to read in one go,
- all maps are beatable and should work as intended.
- also to prevent Slayer/Lamanda/Alamar from rushing your starting area I changed their color and gave them patrol, they are now a unique boss encounter.

If you have any questions, or any kind of feedback, leave it here.

Otherwise, enjoy!



Below I'll write more info about specific maps, you don't have to read it:
1. This map is basically a tutorial. I changed the dragon guarding the Gateway town to Rust Dragon just to make the map a little longer. It was way too easy to rush it especially in Heroes 3.
I also didn't know that "vying" is an actual word.
2. You can beat the map without using the boats despite original scenario heavily suggested it.
3. The AI may rush for the grail, altough I did my best to tweak it.
4. This map can get very chaotic, but is actually quite easy.
5. I changed ~250 goblins that were guarding Slayer's land into an actual garrison.
6. I made Lamanda's forest enchanted (magic plains) because I thought it fits her kingdom.
7. In HoMM1 you wouldn't be able to play this map as Knight faction so I changed its narrative to fit with lore that was in Morglin's letters.
8. I'm not fully satisfied how this map turned out. In HoMM1 it looked terrible. Maze was empty (plain mountains and some treasures) and Alamar was surrounded by the exact same volcano pasted in special patterns. I did all I could to pretty it up but I'm still not satisfied, maybe I'll change it somewhere in the future.
9. I wanted neutral towns to not be player aligned and still have shipyard. Fortress it is. Maybe I'll change it later to something different.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Baronus
Baronus


Supreme Hero
posted January 12, 2018 10:28 PM

Very nice work. Its in fact new camp.  HI camp is another style and very easy. Will be good make it little bigger and little more complicated.  Remastering is a good idea.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Zmudziak22
Zmudziak22


Famous Hero
posted January 28, 2018 01:35 AM

Nice work. So Ironfiet and Kilburn are our main heroes? They will carry over spells, skills, exp?

For Heroes 2 POL Descedants, you can make Uncle Ivan as carry over hero, he is our Campaign reward for rescueing him like in original h2 campaigns had dragon alliance.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
przemo877
przemo877


Hired Hero
Map Renovator
posted January 28, 2018 07:54 PM

Zmudziak22 said:
Nice work. So Ironfiet and Kilburn are our main heroes? They will carry over spells, skills, exp?

For Heroes 2 POL Descedants, you can make Uncle Ivan as carry over hero, he is our Campaign reward for rescueing him like in original h2 campaigns had dragon alliance.


There is no Morglin hero in the campaign because I didn't know who to use as his portrait. With Kilbrun it was easy, Orrin looks almost like him and I though his character fits perfectly for the main general in the Morglins army, which he probably was. And yes, he carries over spells, skills and exp.

I'm not so sure about Uncle Ivan being the carry over hero in Descendants. Didn't the entire campaign took place over at least 6 generations of Jarkonas family?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Zmudziak22
Zmudziak22


Famous Hero
posted January 29, 2018 11:13 AM

Yes it is but, if you rescue Uncle Ivan he will be avaible to recruit for rest campaign. Maybe Uncle Ivan could just carry over stats, skills and experience (no spells). He can learn spells but cannot carry them for ballance.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
phatass
phatass

Tavern Dweller
posted February 02, 2018 01:58 PM
Edited by phatass at 14:08, 02 Feb 2018.

I think I found a bug.
On map 6 when in the forest there is a flower tile blocking the way, and making the map impossible to complete.
The only way to pass it is by cheating and using fly or dimension door.
I am using the latest versions of HOTA (1.5.1) and HD mod (beta 38).
I could send a screenshot or the save file because it is hard to explain where the exact location is. I'll try anyway.
When you land on the beach of the magical forest its the 2nd path right. Not the one with the Mercury mine but the path above that.
It is supposed to take you to a gold (could be random for all I know) mine and a town shortly after.
But I never get to the mine or the town because the damn flower doesn't let me pass. Making me permastuck and unable to finish the map.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
przemo877
przemo877


Hired Hero
Map Renovator
posted February 02, 2018 02:35 PM
Edited by przemo877 at 15:30, 02 Feb 2018.

phatass said:
I think I found a bug.
On map 6 when in the forest there is a flower tile blocking the way, and making the map impossible to complete.
The only way to pass it is by cheating and using fly or dimension door.
I am using the latest versions of HOTA (1.5.1) and HD mod (beta 38).
I could send a screenshot or the save file because it is hard to explain where the exact location is. I'll try anyway.
When you land on the beach of the magical forest its the 2nd path right. Not the one with the Mercury mine but the path above that.
It is supposed to take you to a gold (could be random for all I know) mine and a town shortly after.
But I never get to the mine or the town because the damn flower doesn't let me pass. Making me permastuck and unable to finish the map.


My sincere apologies, that is indeed a bug I found myself long before I posted the campaign here, although I fixed the file itself, the campaign file might not refresh it properly. Or maybe I just overlooked it. Don't know really. I'll do some more tests and the dropbox file will be updated in a few hours. Thank you for the feedback and sorry for the inconvenience.

Edit
The map is now fixed. Campaign is updated and dropbox link is the same. I also quickly checked in game next scenarios but they were ok. Everything should work as intended. At times like these I really wish the spell "Remove Obstacle" was an adventure spell...

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
phatass
phatass

Tavern Dweller
posted February 03, 2018 04:15 AM

Thanks for the quick reply and fix.
Updated the campaign file, restarted the scenario and it is ok now.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
zmudziak22
zmudziak22


Famous Hero
posted February 07, 2018 01:44 PM

Well made to Lord Slayer map, and well maps are fine but i think, H1 Campaign lack of powerups:

Factions were
Castle/Knight - defense skill
Rampart/Sorceress - knowledge skills
Dungeon/Warlock - spell power
Stronghold/Barbarian - attack skill

Well you should raise a bit level cap and add few things like Marletto Towers around our starting area,
Mercenerary Camps around stronghold player
Garden of Knowledge around Ramparts
Star Axis around Dungeons

Arena, Library, Colloseum of Magi, School of Magic, School of War in Middle area

Some towns have not restricted Mage Guilds
Map 1: mage guild level 1 only
Map 2: mage guild level 2
Map 3: should be in all towns except Tower capped to Level 3(Neutral Dungeons and Ramparts can build level 5 mage guild)
Map 4: again, mage guild should be limited to level 4 in Faction Towns and Towers should only allow to learn level 5 spells

When Town Portal will be available to Learn? In Map 3 and 4 i think i learned all level 4 spells except Town Portal and Water Walk


 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
przemo877
przemo877


Hired Hero
Map Renovator
posted February 07, 2018 07:38 PM

zmudziak22 said:
Well made to Lord Slayer map, and well maps are fine but i think, H1 Campaign lack of powerups:

Factions were
Castle/Knight - defense skill
Rampart/Sorceress - knowledge skills
Dungeon/Warlock - spell power
Stronghold/Barbarian - attack skill

Well you should raise a bit level cap and add few things like Marletto Towers around our starting area,
Mercenerary Camps around stronghold player
Garden of Knowledge around Ramparts
Star Axis around Dungeons

Arena, Library, Colloseum of Magi, School of Magic, School of War in Middle area

Some towns have not restricted Mage Guilds
Map 1: mage guild level 1 only
Map 2: mage guild level 2
Map 3: should be in all towns except Tower capped to Level 3(Neutral Dungeons and Ramparts can build level 5 mage guild)
Map 4: again, mage guild should be limited to level 4 in Faction Towns and Towers should only allow to learn level 5 spells

When Town Portal will be available to Learn? In Map 3 and 4 i think i learned all level 4 spells except Town Portal and Water Walk




I probably should add more skill powerups near various towns in earlier maps.

You are correct I did overlooked guild mages in some towns now that I checked in map editor. Fortunately it's not that big of a deal. I will update the campaign file by tomorrow.

You shouldn't be able to learn Town Portal/Dimension Doors/Fly anywhere. The only place where you'll get Town Portal is map 6 with spell scroll starting option.

BTW I'm still trying to think of a clever way to do some carry over heroes in Descendants. No promises tough.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
zmudziak22
zmudziak22


Famous Hero
posted February 07, 2018 09:21 PM

Well also i opt for give Earth Magic and Pathfinding as Campaign Bonuses, Town Portal put as Scroll on maps where we fight leaders of each faction.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
przemo877
przemo877


Hired Hero
Map Renovator
posted February 08, 2018 01:36 PM

I updated the campaign, fixed the issues zmudziak22 mentioned earlier, put some skill powerups on earlier maps which seems logical given the fact that barbarians start with one built into their towns, and because of that I buffed boss heroes by 10 levels to make it more challenging.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
zmudziak22
zmudziak22


Famous Hero
posted February 11, 2018 08:39 PM

I found some bugs:
In map Castle Ironfist you can learn Water walk and in some final maps you can find find heroes from tower/necropolis/inferno/fortress/conflux/cove

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
przemo877
przemo877


Hired Hero
Map Renovator
posted February 15, 2018 02:19 PM

zmudziak22 said:
I found some bugs:
In map Castle Ironfist you can learn Water walk and in some final maps you can find find heroes from tower/necropolis/inferno/fortress/conflux/cove


The water walking spell is now fixed, but the hero issue I honestly couldn't recreate. For me the final map looks ok in game and editor. You shouldn't be able to recruit/see heroes you've mentioned. Even if that happens for reasons unknown to me I think it's a minor issue. Thank you very much for all the feedback you've provided.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
zmudziak22
zmudziak22


Famous Hero
posted February 16, 2018 01:05 PM

I have suggestion, for Final Map lock Fortifications and creature buildings in Fortress Towns, why? because there is only 1 castle per Faction which other then fortress.

Second, flag Crag Hack, Gem and Sandro to be not recruitable for Player Blue(us).

If you survive and manage to kill all stronger heroes, game become too easy, especially when you mix Black/Gold Dragons with Armageddon under Sandro Command.

Fortress towns should only allow build basic stuff(City Hall, Tavern, Resource Silo, Shipyard and prebuilded Cagr of Warlords, since you can not build it without fort.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
NimoStar
NimoStar


Promising
Famous Hero
Modding the Unmoddable
posted February 19, 2018 11:16 AM

When yopu edit maps, the campaign file isn't "refreshed". You have to re-embed the edited map to its proper campaign location for the changes to be implemented.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jump To: « Prev Thread . . . Next Thread »
Post New Poll    Post New Topic    Post New Reply

Page compiled in 0.1111 seconds