Heroes of Might and Magic Community
visiting hero! Register | Today's Posts | Games | Search! | FAQ/Rules | AvatarList | MemberList | Profile


Age of Heroes Headlines:  
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
6 Aug 2016: Troubled Heroes VII Expansion Release - read more
26 Apr 2016: Heroes VII XPack - Trial by Fire - Coming out in June! - read more
17 Apr 2016: Global Alternative Creatures MOD for H7 after 1.8 Patch! - read more
7 Mar 2016: Romero launches a Piano Sonata Album Kickstarter! - read more
19 Feb 2016: Heroes 5.5 RC6, Heroes VII patch 1.7 are out! - read more
13 Jan 2016: Horn of the Abyss 1.4 Available for Download! - read more
17 Dec 2015: Heroes 5.5 update, 1.6 out for H7 - read more
23 Nov 2015: H7 1.4 & 1.5 patches Released - read more
31 Oct 2015: First H7 patches are out, End of DoC development - read more
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
[X] Remove Ads
LOGIN:     Username:     Password:         [ Register ]
HOMM1: info forum | HOMM2: info forum | HOMM3: info mods forum | HOMM4: info CTG forum | HOMM5: info mods forum | MMH6: wiki forum | MMH7: wiki forum
Heroes Community > Heroes 4 - Lands of Axeoth > Thread: Death Magic discussion?
Thread: Death Magic discussion?
Jesp
Jesp

Tavern Dweller
posted April 03, 2003 08:00 AM

Death Magic discussion?

Does anyone have any links to threads where primarily death magic... but also the other schools of magic are discussed?

I can't figure out how to search this forum, and all my looking for the above has been unsuccessful so far.

So if nobody have any links, maybe there is a kind soul who would let me in on the secret of how to conduct a search here?

Thank you in advance



 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
night_on_earth
night_on_earth


Hired Hero
posted April 03, 2003 10:19 AM

As far as I know, threads are not searchable per se in this forum. But fortunately the messages are searchable by google (www.google.com). Just enter "heroescommunity.com" and "axeoth", and then search the results again with "death magic" or something similar. This should work.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jesp
Jesp

Tavern Dweller
posted April 03, 2003 11:09 AM

Thanx! That was a brilliant idea!


 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jesp
Jesp

Tavern Dweller
posted April 03, 2003 11:36 AM

Damn!

Oh! Still can't find any decent discussion on the matter :-(

Then maybe I should start the thread here...

What is your oppion on death magic?

Personally I find it very strong, not as strong as Order magic, but maybe the second strongest of the game. If you play death though, all those nasty mind spells of order magic does not affect your troops. That's why Death magic is my favorite.

"Mass slow" is one of my favorites. It's great to be able to just shoot away on those poor foes which can hardly move towards you. I of course fancy venom spawns over vampires (to have at least 1 shooter in my army) Vampires are obtained through GM Necromancy anyway.

"Unholy word" can also be a decisive factor erly in the game when facing life opponents

"Poison" a strong siege spell because of bad AI (poisoned victims ofen just stands behind castle walls and dies from the poisoning)

"Mass sorrow" This spell is a real good friend of yours. Providing the fact that your death magic hero is fast enough,you get to decide the opening move of the battle. That can often be the difference between victory and defeat.

"Mass cancelation" ok, not as good as the order magic spell "mass steal enhancement", but it still rocks to see the enemy being stripped down to their underwear... no more protective faerie dust.

"Hand of Death" Good bye heroes and level 4 monsters

Then last but not least the more than powerful summoning spells a hero can obtain if mixed with nature magic. Once (if) you get to the level where you can summon devils you are unstoppable. If you do go find that demonary artifact too.

So what do you think about death magic?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Lich_King
Lich_King


Honorable
Supreme Hero
posted April 03, 2003 12:39 PM

Yes Indeed ! As I can remember there were no disscusions about Death Magic here...

Quote:
"Mass slow" is one of my favorites. It's great to be able to just shoot away on those poor foes which can hardly move towards you. I of course fancy venom spawns over vampires (to have at least 1 shooter in my army) Vampires are obtained through GM Necromancy anyway.


Well... "Mass Slow" is not a Death Magic's spell. It's Order's level.4 spell. But as it can affect non-living (Undead, Mechanical and Elemental) creatures, it becomes very powerfull.

Quote:
"Unholy word" can also be a decisive factor erly in the game when facing life opponents


"Unholy Song" Is very good spell against Life. But usually there is other good spells to use.

Quote:
"Poison" a strong siege spell because of bad AI (poisoned victims ofen just stands behind castle walls and dies from the poisoning)


Yes. Totally agree with you. "Poison" is the best spell in sieges. (And good for Order armies, cuz with tons of Magi Poison does a lot of damage). Another spell usefull in non-Death siege battles is "Plague". Did you know, that "Plague" and "Poison" can work together ?

Quote:
"Mass sorrow" This spell is a real good friend of yours. Providing the fact that your death magic hero is fast enough,you get to decide the opening move of the battle. That can often be the difference between victory and defeat.


Agree. Also Low-moraled units do -20 % damage to others.

Quote:
"Mass cancelation" ok, not as good as the order magic spell "mass steal enhancement", but it still rocks to see the enemy being stripped down to their underwear... no more protective faerie dust.


"Mass Cancellation" is very good spell and even better, than "Steal All Enchantments" because you can cancel the spell every time it is casted.

Quote:
"Hand of Death" Good bye heroes and level 4 monsters


Nothing to add here, exept never cast "Hand of Death" on Faerie Dragons and Evil Sorceresses of thier Magic Mirror ability, they will reflect "Hand of Death" back and kill your hero.

Quote:
Then last but not least the more than powerful summoning spells a hero can obtain if mixed with nature magic. Once (if) you get to the level where you can summon devils you are unstoppable. If you do go find that demonary artifact too.


Agree. But usually it is hard to get GM Nature and GM Demonology at the same time.

There are some other spells which are unstopable in Death Magic:

"Vampiric Touch". Life Drain to your strongest creature. OUCH !

"Animate Dead" and "Death Call" Very good spell, reanimating useful creatures, like Angels, Faerie Dragons, Vampires and Megadragon.

"Aura of Fear" - Give it to Devils, add "Vampiric Touch" and if nasty "Cancelation", "Steal Enchantment" or "Dispell" will not be used on them you can take out any army.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jesp
Jesp

Tavern Dweller
posted April 03, 2003 01:23 PM

Quote:
Well... "Mass Slow" is not a Death Magic's spell. It's Order's level.4 spell. But as it can affect non-living (Undead, Mechanical and Elemental) creatures, it becomes very powerfull.


- Ehh..ups! I guess I meant "mass fatigue". Though now that I think about it I am not sure this spell exists... well then I mean the "fatigue" spell then :-)


Quote:
Yes. Totally agree with you. "Poison" is the best spell in sieges. (And good for Order armies, cuz with tons of Magi Poison does a lot of damage). Another spell usefull in non-Death siege battles is "Plague". Did you know, that "Plague" and "Poison" can work together ?


- But plague will also get your own heroes skin itching. But I guess a restoration potion will take care of that...right?


Quote:
"Mass Cancellation" is very good spell and even better, than "Steal All Enchantments" because you can cancel the spell every time it is casted.


- But providing the fact that you have the troops to receive the enchantments, it's an advantage to not just remove you enemies enchantments, but also get them transfered to yourself. Mass Cancelation also cancels out any immortality potion an enemy hero might have been slurping. THAT could mean a lot. It's often a pain to have to kill the same hero twice.


Quote:
Agree. But usually it is hard to get GM Nature and GM Demonology at the same time.


- Naaah! It is not so difficult as people say. Stick to developing Death Magic skills only, and let your scores of 1 imp armies flood the map and locate a witchhut, nature altar or similar, which can teach you nature magic. Of course you need 2 teachingplaces to advance twice in naturemagic in order to become a demonologist, but if there is only one teacher on the map a library can also be used. But you can of course only visit it when you are maxed out in death magic and have 1 skill in nature magic.


Quote:
"Vampiric Touch". Life Drain to your strongest creature. OUCH !


- How could I forget that one. It makes bonedragons mighty nasty.

Quote:
"Animate Dead" and "Death Call" Very good spell, reanimating useful creatures, like Angels, Faerie Dragons, Vampires and Megadragon.


- True but I think that Order's illusion/phantom image is equaly powerful and Nature also have summoning spells... Hold on! What is a megadragon?

Quote:
"Aura of Fear" - Give it to Devils, add "Vampiric Touch" and if nasty "Cancelation", "Steal Enchantment" or "Dispell" will not be used on them you can take out any army.


- Yep! Bonedragons are born with aure of fear, so all you need to do is "bless" them with vampiric touch to make them realy realy mean.

By the way, are there any other good spell combos for death magic exept aura of fear + vampiric touch?

[off topic] Yesterday I encountered some VERY mean nature shooters (playing "the gathering storm") They were throwing boulders and did area damage. Some big green scaly lizard like beings. 35 of these creatures took out my entire army in just 3 turns :-( Anybody knows if there is a nature summon spell for this creature, as it can not be buildt (like the mantis)?[/off topic]

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jesp
Jesp

Tavern Dweller
posted April 03, 2003 01:41 PM

Ahh I remember! Gargantuans ... that's what they are called. The new creatures of "The garthering storm" Along with "Goblin knights" "evil sorceresses" and "dark champions"

...thank you editor :-)

All mean creatures in each their way.


btw, goblin knights??? Come on!


 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Lich_King
Lich_King


Honorable
Supreme Hero
posted April 03, 2003 01:53 PM

Quote:
- Ehh..ups! I guess I meant "mass fatigue". Though now that I think about it I am not sure this spell exists... well then I mean the "fatigue" spell then :-)



No. "Mass Fatigue" does not exist in Homm4. And "Fatigue" spell cannot be compared to the "Slow", cuz: "fatigue" can't be casted on Undead, Elementals and Mechanical creatures.

Quote:
- But plague will also get your own heroes skin itching. But I guess a restoration potion will take care of that...right?


Yes. But All Death units are immune to "Plague".

Quote:
- But providing the fact that you have the troops to receive the enchantments, it's an advantage to not just remove you enemies enchantments, but also get them transfered to yourself. Mass Cancelation also cancels out any immortality potion an enemy hero might have been slurping. THAT could mean a lot. It's often a pain to have to kill the same hero twice.


Yes it is good to steal the spells, but if enemy will cast them again ? You can't steal them again. So "Mass Cancellation" is better spell at this point of view.

Quote:
- True but I think that Order's illusion/phantom image is equaly powerful and Nature also have summoning spells... Hold on! What is a megadragon?


No. Order Illusions can't cast spells. Animated creatures - Can. Also they gain "Undead" property and canno't be dispelled. (But can be cancellated.)
Megadragon is new Winds of War expansion's creature. (HP 1000. Damage 50-100 Attack: 50)

And yes Gargantuans are devastating..... (without "Forgetfulness")
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
splat
splat


Adventuring Hero
posted April 05, 2003 11:50 PM

There is also something like "physical effects are not cured by exorcism, but by the heal spell". That is poison and stun for example, if I'm right. Maybe plague also.

And a library doesn't give you "basic anything", and since you need basic herbalism to get advanced nature magic, you can't use a library for that. You need a university.

And according to my list, you can dispel animated dead. You cannot dispel or cancellate raised skeletons and ghosts from the raise skels and raise ghost spells, but I heard vampires from raise vampires are an exception and can be dispelled.


____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Sargoth
Sargoth


Hired Hero
posted April 06, 2003 08:14 PM

Quote:
- But plague will also get your own heroes skin itching. But I guess a restoration potion will take care of that...right?

Yes. But All Death units are immune to "Plague".


all death units, including death heroes. :-)
____________
I am chaos impersonated.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
valkyrica
valkyrica


Supreme Hero
posted April 07, 2003 03:12 AM

www.mmportals.com -> great info there, spells, units, classes, everything
____________
I'm Guybrush Threepwood, mighty pirate

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Planeswalker
Planeswalker


Famous Hero
Chaotic Good
posted April 07, 2003 12:13 PM

Talking about Death Magic...

Like they say over at MMPORTALS.COM, the spell MIRE is often a forgotten spell.

Still, this is quite good and may give some distance between you and your enemy.

I'd wish that H4 had more adventure spells like this one.

Maybe in H5?
CHEERS!
____________
Like 2D RPGs? Download Everestia! everestiagame.com

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Nidhgrin
Nidhgrin


Honorable
Famous Hero
baking cookies from stardust
posted April 07, 2003 06:14 PM

I pretty much agree on everything Lich_King says here.  
- Hand of death doesn't need much of an explanation hehe, imo it is the best 'damage' spell in the game...
- Aura of fear on one huge stack of Devils for instance does miracles
- Same counts for Vampiric Touch
- Mass Cancellation is very powerful as well
- The animate spells are useful, but don't underestimate the summon Vampire spell too

Two of the, in my opinion, most powerful spells are not listed here yet.  Mass Curse and Mass Weakness, especially in longer battles can have a devastating effect on enemy forces.  I agree they are often not the choice as the first spell being cast in combat but on long term they have formidable results.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jump To: « Prev Thread . . . Next Thread »
Post New Poll    Post New Topic    Post New Reply

Page compiled in 0.0821 seconds