Heroes of Might and Magic Community
visiting hero! Register | Today's Posts | Games | Search! | FAQ/Rules | AvatarList | MemberList | Profile


Age of Heroes Headlines:  
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
6 Aug 2016: Troubled Heroes VII Expansion Release - read more
26 Apr 2016: Heroes VII XPack - Trial by Fire - Coming out in June! - read more
17 Apr 2016: Global Alternative Creatures MOD for H7 after 1.8 Patch! - read more
7 Mar 2016: Romero launches a Piano Sonata Album Kickstarter! - read more
19 Feb 2016: Heroes 5.5 RC6, Heroes VII patch 1.7 are out! - read more
13 Jan 2016: Horn of the Abyss 1.4 Available for Download! - read more
17 Dec 2015: Heroes 5.5 update, 1.6 out for H7 - read more
23 Nov 2015: H7 1.4 & 1.5 patches Released - read more
31 Oct 2015: First H7 patches are out, End of DoC development - read more
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
[X] Remove Ads
LOGIN:     Username:     Password:         [ Register ]
HOMM1: info forum | HOMM2: info forum | HOMM3: info mods forum | HOMM4: info CTG forum | HOMM5: info mods forum | MMH6: wiki forum | MMH7: wiki forum
Heroes Community > Heroes 4 - Lands of Axeoth > Thread: Other ways to get the H4 source code
Thread: Other ways to get the H4 source code This thread is 2 pages long: 1 2 · «PREV
Roman2211
Roman2211


Adventuring Hero
posted November 02, 2018 10:22 AM
Edited by Roman2211 at 11:20, 02 Nov 2018.

kkfkkkfk How is it going? Managed to contact with Interwise? Or QQ:38874907, that dude with the file "streambuf_operators.cpp"  I have no result(((
I had a suspicion, that Interwise is mistakenly released the source code on a disk with the game, you could not will be to buy their (used) CD's and check?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Morglin
Morglin


Adventuring Hero
posted November 02, 2018 06:32 PM bonus applied by Galaad on 09 Jun 2019.
Edited by Morglin at 18:34, 02 Nov 2018.

4 - Learn how to reverse engineering.

Yes, that sounds hard, but it's definitely possible. There's a lot of tuorials on the web. For example: how to inject your own .dll to .exe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYRqfpCLed8.

You can also search WoG sources as a hint:
https://github.com/GrayFace/wog

Project Ironfist:
https://github.com/jkoppel/project-ironfist

Typhon (allows you to add units for ERA):
http://forum.df2.ru/index.php?showtopic=36759

Plugins for HD Mod:
http://forum.df2.ru/index.php?showtopic=30848

Master of Puppests:
http://forum.df2.ru/index.php?showtopic=33244


You can search some communities about reverse enginnering too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/REGames/

https://reverseengineering.stackexchange.com/

And read book by Dennis Yurichev:
https://beginners.re/


Of course, It's probably take you a long time. But this is the only option, you'll never hack ubi or get source code for free from them.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Karmakeld
Karmakeld


Responsible
Famous Hero
posted November 03, 2018 01:12 PM
Edited by Karmakeld at 13:31, 03 Nov 2018.

Morglin said:
4 - Learn how to reverse engineering.

Yes, that sounds hard, but it's definitely possible. There's a lot of tuorials on the web. For example: how to inject your own .dll to .exe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYRqfpCLed8.

You can also search WoG sources as a hint:
https://github.com/GrayFace/wog

Project Ironfist:
https://github.com/jkoppel/project-ironfist

Typhon (allows you to add units for ERA):
http://forum.df2.ru/index.php?showtopic=36759

Plugins for HD Mod:
http://forum.df2.ru/index.php?showtopic=30848

Master of Puppests:
http://forum.df2.ru/index.php?showtopic=33244


You can search some communities about reverse enginnering too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/REGames/

https://reverseengineering.stackexchange.com/

And read book by Dennis Yurichev:
https://beginners.re/


Of course, It's probably take you a long time. But this is the only option, you'll never hack ubi or get source code for free from them.



The part about injecting dll's into exe is a TOP PRIORITY subject several members have been wanting to look into.
Edit: The above post and it's links definitely qualifies for a QP
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
iliveinabox05
iliveinabox05


Promising
Known Hero
posted November 03, 2018 04:04 PM

Karmakeld said:


The part about injecting dll's into exe is a TOP PRIORITY subject several members have been wanting to look into.
Edit: The above post and it's links definitely qualifies for a QP


I also thought it was a worthy qp post. Unfortunately we still don't have an admin. My PM to Kiryu has been sitting unopened for more than a month. He either needs to be more active or we need a new admin.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
kkfkkkfk
kkfkkkfk


Adventuring Hero
Nothing is impossible
posted December 17, 2018 08:13 AM

Roman2211 said:
kkfkkkfk How is it going? Managed to contact with Interwise? Or QQ:38874907, that dude with the file "streambuf_operators.cpp"  I have no result(((
I had a suspicion, that Interwise is mistakenly released the source code on a disk with the game, you could not will be to buy their (used) CD's and check?


1.I'll try to contact him.
2.No code from Interwise.They have already told me by email.
These games belong to UBI only.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
kkfkkkfk
kkfkkkfk


Adventuring Hero
Nothing is impossible
posted December 17, 2018 08:26 AM

Nim,I have finished some work.
About Cheat Menu,You just need to edit this code.



The tools I use are called EXEScope.

I will continue to improve the game.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Roman2211
Roman2211


Adventuring Hero
posted April 11, 2019 07:50 AM
Edited by Roman2211 at 07:52, 11 Apr 2019.

Did he 38874907 is add me to the blacklist? Why are the Chinese so angry?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Gauldoth_IV
Gauldoth_IV


Adventuring Hero
nobody
posted April 11, 2019 10:04 AM

Roman2211 said:
Did he 38874907 is add me to the blacklist? Why are the Chinese so angry?


First,he's not adding you to the blacklist, he just not reply your application, cuz in China normally we didn't add stranger (you haven't contact him through the forum or something others right?)

And after review your history post  I think you got the wrong number, the QQ number seem to be 39974907(yours was 38874907);

But still I seriously doubt you would contact him, cuz the gameres thread was at 2004 and the last post of it was 2008, the author may no longer work on it.
Also his project just get the art resources of the HOMM4, I doubt his also got the source code, cuz if my memory didn't go wrong,  that time we do got a tool just extract the art resources, but I can't remember that would touched code.
____________
Where is my signature?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Roman2211
Roman2211


Adventuring Hero
posted April 11, 2019 11:28 AM
Edited by Roman2211 at 13:50, 11 Apr 2019.

kkfkkkfk said:
About Cheat Menu,You just need to edit this code.
Much easier, In the properties of the game shortcut, add (path to folderheroes4.exe" nwcimagod)
Gauldoth_IV said:
he's not adding you to the blacklist

But this message comes is immediately after sending invitations from me.
Gauldoth_IV said:
I think you got the wrong number, the QQ number seem to be 39974907(yours was 38874907)
The misprint on forum, just look in google: "QQ 38874907" This is the real number

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Gauldoth_IV
Gauldoth_IV


Adventuring Hero
nobody
posted April 11, 2019 04:09 PM
Edited by Gauldoth_IV at 16:12, 11 Apr 2019.

Roman2211 said:

Gauldoth_IV said:
he's not adding you to the blacklist

But this message comes is immediately after sending invitations from me.



well,I google it,the number seem to be right. My bad.
But this message is just a system message,after you sending the application it will show up. The message just told "waiting for verification",no other meaning.
And for QQ, normally if u r not his friend (which mean u r not in his friends list), he can't put you in the blacklist, cuz you even not in his list...

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Galaad
Galaad

Hero of Order
Li mort as morz, li vif as vis
posted June 09, 2019 01:35 PM
Edited by Galaad at 13:36, 09 Jun 2019.

iliveinabox05 said:
Karmakeld said:
Edit: The above post and it's links definitely qualifies for a QP


I also thought it was a worthy qp post.


Granted!
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
ReinePedauque
ReinePedauque


Adventuring Hero
faerie
posted August 17, 2019 01:04 PM

don't u violate the game

go ORIGINAL David Mullich productions

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Roman2211
Roman2211


Adventuring Hero
posted December 09, 2019 08:44 AM
Edited by Roman2211 at 08:47, 09 Dec 2019.

I finally think that he added me to the blacklist. After sending a message to him, I immediately receive this system notification from bot

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
NimoStar
NimoStar


Responsible
Supreme Hero
Modding the Unmoddable
posted December 10, 2019 03:55 AM
Edited by NimoStar at 04:05, 10 Dec 2019.

Quote:
Much easier, In the properties of the game shortcut, add (path to folderheroes4.exe" nwcimagod)


ThatĄ's not what we were talking about.

He meant about EDITING the cheat menu.

Something I already did in the first released versions of my mod.

However with care one couild add EXTRA cheats, something which he was showcasing.

In any case, the number there in the "cheat menu" is an Hex indicator. That number tells the .exe where is the adress where the cheat command is executed.

I never explained this thinking it to be obvious, I see not.
That is the way Equilibris made their extra necromancy and summoning settings, they pointed to parts which are replaced by their DLL extension (too bad modern antivirus marks it as a virus)

So, no wonder he adds you to the blacklist, why do you want him if you will not be able to understand?

In any case, I still understand absolutely nothing from chinese screenshots :V
____________
Discover H4 Greatest Mod!
https://www.moddb.com/mods/greatest-mod/downloads
(Also biggest of only two 2 mods for HOMM IV)

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
kkfkkkfk
kkfkkkfk


Adventuring Hero
Nothing is impossible
posted December 10, 2019 08:53 AM

Roman2211 said:
I finally think that he added me to the blacklist. After sending a message to him, I immediately receive this system notification from bot



The biggest possibility is that he is not online, so he will not see any message from you.

I have tried to contact the author without any reply
Now people seldom use QQ.

I took a look at his game.
In fact, it has nothing to do with H4.
No code you want.
This game just uses some images from H4.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
TheUnknown
TheUnknown


Known Hero
posted December 10, 2019 09:08 PM

I think it's easier to rewrite it than to reverse engineer it.

Even a new game that is based on it would be much better.

There are many people that hate the fact that it is Heroes 4 (just the name). Also some features may be removed or improved a lot easier if it was a new game.

The problem with modding is that people add/change more than they should, that is why equilibris and the original game are a lot more popular.

Good mods are either those that are created/improved by a community, or from people that simply have a hunch on what the gamers really want.

Not to mention the source code is not so much compatible with new hardware.

I believe we as a community should try and build a simple project (like heroes 1 visually, but with the features of heroes 4) and then improve it as time goes on. It doesn't have to be unity or whatever, it can be a simple engine that is just enough to do the things we would expect of a heroes 4 like game.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
NimoStar
NimoStar


Responsible
Supreme Hero
Modding the Unmoddable
posted December 11, 2019 11:12 AM
Edited by NimoStar at 06:45, 12 Dec 2019.

Quote:
The problem with modding is that people add/change more than they should, that is why equilibris and the original game are a lot more popular.

Good mods are either those that are created/improved by a community, or from people that simply have a hunch on what the gamers really want.



Hard disagree. There are mods which are total conversions and very popular.

Also, in H3 before HotA there was WOG which is a highly customizable and scriptable mod used for hundreds of very complex custom maps such as one of "300" (The Sparta movie) and many more which turn the game into a sandbox.

Also you speak of what gamers want but what gamer really likes H1 or its graphics? Nearly nobody plays it.

Quote:
don't u violate the game

go ORIGINAL David Mullich productions


You speak like this in every modding thread.
If you don't like moddiong just ignore it.

However,
I will tell you something.

This game isn't "original" mullich productions as he would have liked it. The game had to be rushed and a lot of features are missing. Graphics are unpolished. Sound is not even Romero for the most part, he only did town themes (/and main themes?) while the rest was a pre-packaged Celtic music library that got added.

The engine is also buggy, the AI is unfinished and buggy as well.

Heroes IV was suppossed to be followed by Heroes V from NWC which was another isometric game, with more polished graphics with nice textures that would remind more of the lush enviroments of H3 than the "Plastic" H4 feeling (although, we are doing that right now with custom and imported objects since I started the reverse engineering of graphic files and others did most of the automation job).

And why all of these happened? Simple, 3DO banruptcy and the end of NWC. That is why Heroes 4 was rushed and we never got NWC H5 which would have expanded and perfected the same engine and hero-combat balance.

So, by modding H4 I think we go closer to what NWC and "david mullich" intended, that is to say, to continue/finish what they coudn't.

***

About rewriting, VCMI tries that for H3 and is still much less popular than other ways of modding, even after years talented programmers work on it, the base features are not finished. And we are suppossed to implement H4 which has more complex gameplay functions?

For that it is preferrable to make a Unity game with free models and anims... but still, one would need to be a professional programmer.

A memeber of NWC team offered Ubisoft the source code for H3 expansions with Ubisoft didn't even have. Which means NWC employees may still have H4 source code. And maybe one is willing to provide it, however unofficially. There is hope.
But not on that chinese guy, I think he just ripped assets, which is common, and does not involve source code.

***

In any case TheUnknown, if you want to change the graphics so people use H4 mechanics, just look here: http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=45325 we can do that right now with our current engine, we can make H4 map look like H3 map and even change the UI (though not make it change with player color like H3 UI)
____________
Discover H4 Greatest Mod!
https://www.moddb.com/mods/greatest-mod/downloads
(Also biggest of only two 2 mods for HOMM IV)

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jagulars
Jagulars

Tavern Dweller
posted December 13, 2019 10:41 AM

TheUnknown said:
I think it's easier to rewrite it than to reverse engineer it.

Even a new game that is based on it would be much better.

There are many people that hate the fact that it is Heroes 4 (just the name). Also some features may be removed or improved a lot easier if it was a new game.

The problem with modding is that people add/change more than they should, that is why equilibris and the original game are a lot more popular.

Good mods are either those that are created/improved by a community, or from people that simply have a hunch on what the gamers really want.

Not to mention the source code is not so much compatible with new hardware.

I believe we as a community should try and build a simple project (like heroes 1 visually, but with the features of heroes 4) and then improve it as time goes on. It doesn't have to be unity or whatever, it can be a simple engine that is just enough to do the things we would expect of a heroes 4 like game.
I see you are a man of culture. I stopped lurking because I was moved by this wisdom. I agree with everything but I'm too fond of heroes 4 graphics.

Though, heroes 4 doesn't require total conversions to be an excellent game. Even with some tactical changes it can be made much better. So is it necessary to completely reverse engineer the game?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
TheUnknown
TheUnknown


Known Hero
posted December 15, 2019 07:06 PM

NimoStar said:
Quote:

In any case TheUnknown, if you want to change the graphics so people use H4 mechanics, just look here: http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=45325 we can do that right now with our current engine, we can make H4 map look like H3 map and even change the UI (though not make it change with player color like H3 UI)


I love the UI and the graphics of Heroes IV.
There is a reason I post mostly on the heroes 4 forums and a lot less on the other games. That is because I love this game the most.
And this also means I love almost every aspect of it (gameplay, music, graphics the lore ... almost everything).

The reason I mention rewrite is because most of the people that want to mod it, want to make big changes or to say nearly a total conversion mod. In this case a rewrite works better.

But in the case of equilibris rewrite doesn't (didn't) make sense because they do small changes that affect the gameplay with just the balancing purpose in mind.

The problem with total conversion is that we rarely have the features that were causing issues for us fixed. For example the AI for many people, new additions on abilities, classes, skills, spells etc.
For example what if we want to have armaggedon cast on death of hero class pyromancer? It's possible but very very hard to do if you reverse engineer.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
CTPAHHuK
CTPAHHuK


Adventuring Hero
krs.83@mail.ru
posted December 16, 2019 07:27 AM

I agree with Unknown. Several (6-16) active on-line players are ready to play your mod, NimoStar, if it is built on their proposals. For example, take 3.51 as a basis and implement the ideas of the players. This mod will be playable and always updated.


 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jump To: « Prev Thread . . . Next Thread » This thread is 2 pages long: 1 2 · «PREV
Post New Poll    Post New Topic    Post New Reply

Page compiled in 0.0926 seconds