Heroes of Might and Magic Community
visiting hero! Register | Today's Posts | Games | Search! | FAQ/Rules | AvatarList | MemberList | Profile


Age of Heroes Headlines:  
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
6 Aug 2016: Troubled Heroes VII Expansion Release - read more
26 Apr 2016: Heroes VII XPack - Trial by Fire - Coming out in June! - read more
17 Apr 2016: Global Alternative Creatures MOD for H7 after 1.8 Patch! - read more
7 Mar 2016: Romero launches a Piano Sonata Album Kickstarter! - read more
19 Feb 2016: Heroes 5.5 RC6, Heroes VII patch 1.7 are out! - read more
13 Jan 2016: Horn of the Abyss 1.4 Available for Download! - read more
17 Dec 2015: Heroes 5.5 update, 1.6 out for H7 - read more
23 Nov 2015: H7 1.4 & 1.5 patches Released - read more
31 Oct 2015: First H7 patches are out, End of DoC development - read more
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
[X] Remove Ads
LOGIN:     Username:     Password:         [ Register ]
New Server | HOMM1: info forum | HOMM2: info forum | HOMM3: info forum | HOMM4: info forum | HOMM5: info forum | MMH6: wiki forum | MMH7: wiki forum
Heroes Community > Heroes 7 - Falcon's Last Flight > Thread: Can we now say H7 is the worst heroes ever?
Thread: Can we now say H7 is the worst heroes ever? This thread is 14 pages long: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 · «PREV / NEXT»
verriker
verriker


Honorable
Legendary Hero
A Foul Erwind Is Blowing
posted December 21, 2016 10:17 PM

Elvin said:
That.. sounds about right. Maybe a little unfair to call it a cellphone game but it's not like it has too much going for it.


I agree, that is very unfair to cellphone games lol
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
sirironfist
sirironfist


Adventuring Hero
Master of the Sword
posted December 21, 2016 10:41 PM
Edited by sirironfist at 22:43, 21 Dec 2016.

I played a bit of Heroes 1 recently and I found it to be quite addictive. If I only had Heroes 1 I would gladly play hundreds of hours in it. It is mostly the same feeling as Heroes 2.

Heroes 7 is the only Heroes where I can say that I never really had good fun with it. In Heroes 6 I liked the new necropolis build, which was enough to make me play 55 hours.

I think one decisive aspect is whether or not the game has unique characteristics or features. Heroes 1 does not - Heroes 2 has everything Heroes 1 has and more. Although the music is awesome which may be a reason to go back from time to time. But you will most certainly go for Heroes 2 if you are looking for that kind of experience.

Heroes 6 introduces new creatures/lineups which seperates it from all the other games.

What does Heroes 7 have? I can not think of anything. Oh, the academy theme made it into my heroes 3 tower which is one achievement at least.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
AlHazin
AlHazin


Famous Hero
Relief from God & soon opening
posted December 21, 2016 10:56 PM

Heroes VII is just out of touch with the heroes reality, heroes 6 being already on that game soul breaking logics, H7 was just a piece to add to the new heroes lineage that Ubisoft wanted to put into play (no pun intended), and they would have carried on if it were not the economical events that followed.

That's why there is that weird feeling when you play the game, hopefully in some parts of the Earth you don't pay for softwares.
____________


 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Maurice
Maurice

Hero of Order
Part of the furniture
posted December 22, 2016 01:06 AM

sirironfist said:
I played a bit of Heroes 1 recently and I found it to be quite addictive. If I only had Heroes 1 I would gladly play hundreds of hours in it. It is mostly the same feeling as Heroes 2.


If you don't mind spending some money on it, you can buy a version that runs on modern systems here.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
e-lysander
e-lysander


Known Hero
Lysander
posted December 22, 2016 04:52 AM
Edited by e-lysander at 04:55, 22 Dec 2016.

I think moving forward (if Ubisoft chooses to do so), since Limbic is out of the picture, they should invest in trying to get together some of the original team from 3DO for a new studio for the Might and Magic series. It might not make business-sense, but they might attract some attention if they somehow got Jon Van Caneghem involved, for example. Maybe bring back the old universe, as well. Try as I might, I could never get interested in Ubi's universe, and I have a feeling I'm not alone there. 3DO went for a classic fantasy style, while Ubi went in the direction that literally everyone else is and tried to do their own thing, with edgy, dark designs. I know everyone loves Heroes III style, but I'd love to see a game with the 2D Heroes I/II cute art style.

This business of a having a revolving door of hired hands to develop each installment doesn't quite sit right with me.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Galaad
Galaad


Honorable
Legendary Hero
Enrothian Conservative Party
HC SUPPORTER
posted December 22, 2016 12:04 PM

e-lysander said:
I know everyone loves Heroes III style, but I'd love to see a game with the 2D Heroes I/II cute art style.


+1, although I think for most h2 is the best looking of the series.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Antalyan
Antalyan


Promising
Famous Hero
H7 Forever
posted December 22, 2016 01:23 PM

Galaad said:
e-lysander said:
I know everyone loves Heroes III style, but I'd love to see a game with the 2D Heroes I/II cute art style.


+1, although I think for most h2 is the best looking of the series.


I cannot realise I hear this in 21st century, no offense, just very surprising to me to hear again and again that there are still people prefering 20 years old graphics to the newest one.

I guess it's completely impossible to make a Heroes game I would love and you as well (and vice versa).
____________
Important H7 tips & tricks
H7 Umbramancer Project

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Galaad
Galaad


Honorable
Legendary Hero
Enrothian Conservative Party
HC SUPPORTER
posted December 22, 2016 01:31 PM
Edited by Galaad at 13:32, 22 Dec 2016.

Antalyan said:

I guess it's completely impossible to make a Heroes game I would love and you as well (and vice versa).


Actually I don't mind the 3D as much as others, only the implementation that I find anti-strategic. But there is some truth in what you said, the modern titles have so little in common with the early ones that it generated two distinct fandoms.

Also check out Samorost 3 if you want to see some 21st century 2D.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Maurice
Maurice

Hero of Order
Part of the furniture
posted December 22, 2016 02:06 PM

Antalyan said:
I cannot realise I hear this in 21st century, no offense, just very surprising to me to hear again and again that there are still people prefering 20 years old graphics to the newest one.


I doubt people actually prefer the old pixelated graphics, but rather the graphical style of those games. They'd probably prefer a good HD rendition of H2 or H3, with full HD graphics.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
JollyJoker
JollyJoker


Honorable
Undefeatable Hero
posted December 22, 2016 04:42 PM

Correct.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
gatecrasher
gatecrasher


Known Hero
posted December 22, 2016 07:33 PM

I don't care for anything after H4. For me the game idea doesn't work in 3D.
The increased power consumption 3D graphics entails isn't worth it.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
OhforfSake
OhforfSake


Promising
Legendary Hero
posted December 22, 2016 08:15 PM

I don't think 2D graphics was in any way strange in the early 00's, so I don't particularly like the way it's worded.
Beside who still uses 3D graphics now when 23950D has become so popular ever since Shares invented it back in 2018?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Antalyan
Antalyan


Promising
Famous Hero
H7 Forever
posted December 23, 2016 03:27 PM

Galaad said:
Antalyan said:

I guess it's completely impossible to make a Heroes game I would love and you as well (and vice versa).


Actually I don't mind the 3D as much as others, only the implementation that I find anti-strategic. But there is some truth in what you said, the modern titles have so little in common with the early ones that it generated two distinct fandoms.

Also check out Samorost 3 if you want to see some 21st century 2D.


Yes, the modern titles are different, for you in a significantly worse direction, for me in a significantly better direction. Besides, they should have called H5 "Might & Magic: Heroes 5" or rather something like "Might & Magic: Heroes of Might & Magic 5" because it lies exactly between the old and the new ones (and definitely not only due to chronology).

And yes, I do know Samorost 3. Although I haven't played it yet,
it would be a shame if I did not know one of the best games from my country However, it's a different type of game so I don't mind using 2D graphics there.

gatecrasher said:
I don't care for anything after H4. For me the game idea doesn't work in 3D.
The increased power consumption 3D graphics entails isn't worth it.

Funny, I don't care about anything before H4 (including H4) and for me the game idea doesn't work in 2D. The decreased visual experience isn't worth of it.



____________
Important H7 tips & tricks
H7 Umbramancer Project

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Galaad
Galaad


Honorable
Legendary Hero
Enrothian Conservative Party
HC SUPPORTER
posted December 23, 2016 03:49 PM

Antalyan said:
And yes, I do know Samorost 3. Although I haven't played it yet,
it would be a shame if I did not know one of the best games from my country However, it's a different type of game so I don't mind using 2D graphics there.


Aha, because you were just saying in 21st century 2D games are prehistoric or did I get you wrong?

Antalyan said:
for me the game idea doesn't work in 2D.


How so?
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
JollyJoker
JollyJoker


Honorable
Undefeatable Hero
posted December 23, 2016 03:54 PM

Err, graphics have nothing to do with the game idea AT ALL. It would work in CGA, it would even work monochrome. It obviously DID work fine in 2d.

If it doesn't work for you, you are playing the game quite obviously for the wrong reasons.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Stevie
Stevie


Responsible
Undefeatable Hero
HC SUPPORTER
posted December 23, 2016 03:58 PM
Edited by Stevie at 15:59, 23 Dec 2016.

JollyJoker said:
Err, graphics have nothing to do with the game idea AT ALL. It would work in CGA, it would even work monochrome. It obviously DID work fine in 2d.

If it doesn't work for you, you are playing the game quite obviously for the wrong reasons.


This. 2D or 3D is a false dichotomy, all that matters is if the graphics are done right and not obtrusive to tactical gameplay.
____________
Guide to a Great Heroes Game

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
olorin
olorin


Adventuring Hero
tophatchild.blogspot.com
posted December 23, 2016 06:06 PM

Antalyan said:
Funny, I don't care about anything before H4 (including H4) and for me the game idea doesn't work in 2D. The decreased visual experience isn't worth of it.



It's the other way around: strategy games are by definition the maximum expression of 2D graphical engine or whatever you wanna name it (pseudo 3D and such).

In my opinion the graphical side DOES matter regarding turn-based strategy games: "3D Heroes" games are inherently flawed because of it, precisely. And this is not only because of the gameplay itself, but due to the metaphysical map editor which prevents us from creating something worthy in a reasonable lapse of time.

Yeah, I took delight in 3D games since early 2000 but as long as strategy goes... meh. You wanna play good 3D games? Go play first-person shooters instead, and leave Heroes games alone.
____________
Top Hat Child dixit: http://tophatchild.blogspot.com.es/

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Antalyan
Antalyan


Promising
Famous Hero
H7 Forever
posted December 23, 2016 06:33 PM
Edited by Antalyan at 18:34, 23 Dec 2016.

Galaad said:
Antalyan said:
And yes, I do know Samorost 3. Although I haven't played it yet,
it would be a shame if I did not know one of the best games from my country However, it's a different type of game so I don't mind using 2D graphics there.


Aha, because you were just saying in 21st century 2D games are prehistoric or did I get you wrong?


I would not claim it generally. Yes, in my opinion, 2D games have already the best days behind but certain types of games require or fit them. I just don't think Heroes belong to them.

Galaad said:
Antalyan said:
for me the game idea doesn't work in 2D.


How so?

JollyJoker said:
Err, graphics have nothing to do with the game idea AT ALL. It would work in CGA, it would even work monochrome. It obviously DID work fine in 2d.


As mentioned above, I agree this series might have changed a lot since the original ones but exploring interesting places and exciting, realistic atmosphere belong for me to this game's experience as much as some game mechanics do. RPG elements and good story go hand in hand with it. 2D graphics offers better visibility but realise Might & Magic Heroes are now "UNIQUE MIX OF TURN-BASED STRATEGY AND RPG" - and experience from RPG features is much better in 3D for me.

Sorry, it's difficult for me to explain my inner thoughts and preferences, but it seems like 2D maps are lacking the right atmosphere for me.

JollyJoker said:
Err, graphics have nothing to do with the game idea AT ALL. It would work in CGA, it would even work monochrome. It obviously DID work fine in 2d.


If it doesn't work for you, you are playing the game quite obviously for the wrong reasons.

Who do you think you are to dictate which reasons are right and which are wrong?

olorin said:

In my opinion the graphical side DOES matter regarding turn-based strategy games: "3D Heroes" games are inherently flawed because of it, precisely. And this is not only because of the gameplay itself, but due to the metaphysical map editor which prevents us from creating something worthy in a reasonable lapse of time.

Yeah, I took delight in 3D games since early 2000 but as long as strategy goes... meh. You wanna play good 3D games? Go play first-person shooters instead, and leave Heroes games alone.


You are right that it's definitely a downside that editors for 3D need much more time than 2D ones and creating a map is thus longer.

Btw. I don't like shooting games I wanna relax during playing games, without haste.
____________
Important H7 tips & tricks
H7 Umbramancer Project

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Galaad
Galaad


Honorable
Legendary Hero
Enrothian Conservative Party
HC SUPPORTER
posted December 23, 2016 06:59 PM
Edited by Galaad at 19:03, 23 Dec 2016.

Antalyan said:
Yes, in my opinion, 2D games have already the best days behind but certain types of games require or fit them. I just don't think Heroes belong to them.


Would you mind explaining a bit your position instead of throwing one liners with your preferences? I genuinely try to understand you even if I think the opposite, but you're not giving me any food here.

Antalyan said:
2D graphics offers better visibility but realise Might & Magic Heroes are now "UNIQUE MIX OF TURN-BASED STRATEGY AND RPG" - and experience from RPG features is much better in 3D for me.


But Heroes always had both these elements, aside h1 maybe? Even though Ubi put all more focus on the campaigns these elements worked just as well (imo better) in 2D (and speaking of RPG focus see h4...).

Antalyan said:
Sorry, it's difficult for me to explain my inner thoughts and preferences, but it seems like 2D maps are lacking the right atmosphere for me.


I think you just like 3D much better than 2D in general, Heroes or not. At least that is what I get from your posts.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
e-lysander
e-lysander


Known Hero
Lysander
posted December 23, 2016 07:21 PM
Edited by e-lysander at 19:22, 23 Dec 2016.

Maurice said:
I doubt people actually prefer the old pixelated graphics, but rather the graphical style of those games. They'd probably prefer a good HD rendition of H2 or H3, with full HD graphics.


Exactly this. The perfect style would be Heroes II sprites in HD. Maybe with a bit more fluid animations, but that would be amazing. Gah, Ubi, make this happen. I'll give you all the moneys.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jump To: « Prev Thread . . . Next Thread » This thread is 14 pages long: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 · «PREV / NEXT»
Post New Poll    Post New Topic    Post New Reply

Page compiled in 0.0503 seconds