Heroes of Might and Magic Community
visiting hero! Register | Today's Posts | Games | Search! | FAQ/Rules | AvatarList | MemberList | Profile


Age of Heroes Headlines:  
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
6 Aug 2016: Troubled Heroes VII Expansion Release - read more
26 Apr 2016: Heroes VII XPack - Trial by Fire - Coming out in June! - read more
17 Apr 2016: Global Alternative Creatures MOD for H7 after 1.8 Patch! - read more
7 Mar 2016: Romero launches a Piano Sonata Album Kickstarter! - read more
19 Feb 2016: Heroes 5.5 RC6, Heroes VII patch 1.7 are out! - read more
13 Jan 2016: Horn of the Abyss 1.4 Available for Download! - read more
17 Dec 2015: Heroes 5.5 update, 1.6 out for H7 - read more
23 Nov 2015: H7 1.4 & 1.5 patches Released - read more
31 Oct 2015: First H7 patches are out, End of DoC development - read more
5 Oct 2016: Heroes VII development comes to an end.. - read more
[X] Remove Ads
LOGIN:     Username:     Password:         [ Register ]
HOMM1: info forum | HOMM2: info forum | HOMM3: info mods forum | HOMM4: info CTG forum | HOMM5: info mods forum | MMH6: wiki forum | MMH7: wiki forum
Heroes Community > Heroes 3.5 - WoG and Beyond > Thread: [Official Thread] HoMM 3: Horn of the Abyss - Announcements, Questions, Features
Thread: [Official Thread] HoMM 3: Horn of the Abyss - Announcements, Questions, Features This Popular Thread is 430 pages long: 1 50 100 150 200 250 300 350 ... 399 400 401 402 403 ... 430 · «PREV / NEXT»
FirePaladin
FirePaladin


Supreme Hero
Undercover modder
posted March 04, 2020 10:43 PM
Edited by FirePaladin at 23:20, 04 Mar 2020.

gatecrasher said:
Alternatively you could still use the normal punch attack. Maybe the beam attack will be limited by a low number (4?) of "shots".
Also note that the beam can't be fired backwards. Maybe a mechanic needs to activate it?

Will the number of Mechanics in stack have an influence?

"Engine shutdown" might hint at Dreadnoughts being prone to Water Magic.

Now that we know of Mechanics the complete lineup is revealed unless there is something real special about it (already hinted at though).


Probably some other kind of mechanical unit, since out of all 7 only Dreadnought is mechanical, which is damn low for a technological faction. Okay, they have flamethrowers and guns, but still. Or they could have a "repair kit" as a war machine (or as a 2nd war machine, just like Stronghold). I dunno how the beam could be implemented. Either by making the unit fire the laser at low distance, either by using activated abilities, just like in HoMM5 (King's Bounty has this thing done better, with each creature possibly having more special attacks or activated abilities). However, they both require hard scripting, but the first could be done in a similar fashion as the casting.

Edit: Maybe some fire vulnerability too, since their cooler is outdated compared to ours

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
phoenix4ever
phoenix4ever


Legendary Hero
Heroes is love, Heroes is life
posted March 04, 2020 11:19 PM

Hourglass said:
As it seems we pretty much know what the Factory line up will include, I would expect them to the able to repair just the Dreadnought/Juggernaut. Maybe they could be able to repair the warmachines as well. Golems are the only relatively close creatures that one could see as a fine target for repairs, but since they're magic based creatures, I doubt it.

Yeah I guess it's just the Dreadnought/Juggernaut, I guess they are infact the only mechanical unit in Factory? Or perhaps they have a new war machine too? It would be cool if they could fix all war machines, as there is currently no way to bring them back. I guess it could also affect gargoyles and golems, but then we begin mixing Factory with Tower which is probably a bit weird.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
ArchDruid
ArchDruid


Adventuring Hero
posted March 04, 2020 11:21 PM

Hello everybody!

I have a question for Hota Team: What happened to the following DEF files?
TWCRPORT, CPRSMALL, UN32, UN44

They can't be opened by DefPreview any more. They seem to be corrupted, or DefPreview can't handle files above a certain size? These fils are grown to 4 times bigger than their original size in Heroes 3 Complete.

In previous updates, the CPRSmall and TWCRport files were extracted inside HotA.lod file, but now they are packed in a .def file again.

Why was this necessary?
Now I can't use my own customized unit pictures in the game, which is sad.

Which program do you use to extract these pic files?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
FirePaladin
FirePaladin


Supreme Hero
Undercover modder
posted March 04, 2020 11:22 PM

phoenix4ever said:
Hourglass said:
As it seems we pretty much know what the Factory line up will include, I would expect them to the able to repair just the Dreadnought/Juggernaut. Maybe they could be able to repair the warmachines as well. Golems are the only relatively close creatures that one could see as a fine target for repairs, but since they're magic based creatures, I doubt it.

Yeah I guess it's just the Dreadnought/Juggernaut, I guess they are infact the only mechanical unit in Factory? Or perhaps they have a new war machine too? It would be cool if they could fix all war machines, as there is currently no way to bring them back. I guess it could also affect gargoyles and golems, but then we begin mixing Factory with Tower which is probably a bit weird.


I think golems would be the limit though; gargoyles are exclusively magically animated, while golems still contain some engineering.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
avatar
avatar


Promising
Supreme Hero
posted March 04, 2020 11:49 PM
Edited by avatar at 23:51, 04 Mar 2020.

ArchDruid said:

I have a question for Hota Team: What happened to the following DEF files?
TWCRPORT, CPRSMALL, UN32, UN44


HotA Team found the way how to incorporate png files into H3 engine. PNGs have better quality than bmp files. So, they decide to pack some of 1.6.0 graphic into defs with png frames. That's why def tools can't recognise new format. You must wait for new def maker/def preview versions.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
hortu
hortu

Tavern Dweller
posted March 04, 2020 11:58 PM

gatecrasher said:
Alternatively you could still use the normal punch attack. Maybe the beam attack will be limited by a low number (4?) of "shots".



Laser attack will be limited to one per battle just like arhcangel's resurrections ability. This information was confirmed by one of the member connected to hota crew on facebook's heroes group.

phoenix4ever said:
Aww come on, we don't need a campaign day 1, not everyone is going to play it anyway.


You won't get full campaign within first Factory update. Right now is the competition for creating tutorial-like campaign for introduction new town. This campaign will be like first campaign for Cove. This spinoff will tell us history of two brothers: Bertram and the other crazy looking guy.
Hota crew are focusing into developing the town or testing new balance for skills and magic. Right now they changing the whole town screen. Even they are not sure what ability the upgr. halfling should have. The true campaigns will add in later updates after Factory will be released. Source: vk and df2 forums

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Deemer123
Deemer123

Tavern Dweller
posted March 05, 2020 12:03 AM

FirePaladin said:
Deemer123 said:
FirePaladin said:
Deemer123 said:
Thanks for the tip.
Here is the link for the map "Full Circle" - a working title. Suggestions welcome...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/exp2z09zqt901v9/rmg.txt/file



So, I started the template yesterday. I chose Hard difficulty (just to get the hang of it, that's why), Tower (my first and my fav faction, because of the Titans and the beautiful Nagas) with Neela as hero (I usually choose Solmyr because he was my first hero). The bonus was artifact and the nr. of players was 7. My castle was in the south-east region, on snow terrain. I got Dracon (yeah, him), Nagash and Calid in the first day (last two as secondary and for res. bonus). I Gremlin rushed all monsters in the first weeks (Gargoyles as guards, and Naga Queens from week 2) with Neela and Dracon with Encahnters. Anyway, now it's month 2 week 2, first enemy encounter and I already have 4 castles (1 Tower almost full, 1 Necro full without creature upgrades, 2 Castle weakly developed) and 20+ Giants from banks and ~5 Angels from banks too. Neela is in an area with ~5 Griffin Conservatories and Dracon has 15 Giants and already encountered the main hero of Blue, Rampart. Now I'm gonna try to take over Blue. Seems pretty good right now (the template, I mean). You can encounter the enemy easily in underground if both of you clean the paths.
Neela and Dracon are mains, developing Neela especially.

Edit: I crippled the main of Blue, even though the hero had superior stats.


Thanks so much for testing. Sounds like you are having fun (which is the main idea).
Since you are already into, maybe I few things that I can think of improving after my testing:
1. Map seems too easy (but fun). Options to make it harder a) reduce the amount of creature banks, b) increase monster strength on passages to the "non-middle" and c) maybe block Armageddon as I tend to use that a lot starting a mid game - but then again anyone may choose not to use it.
2. One could make the wasteland zone bigger - even though it is set to pretty large in the editor it turns out in similiar size then my starting zone.
Happy to hear your thoughts though.

To the HOTA team: one thing that I noticed - and I am not sure if it is intentional - is that a ground connection as set in the editor can lead to several passages between those to zones (i.e. 3-4 entry points from one zone to the other blocked by different guards). That can be an advantage (you can choose which guard is easier) or disadvantage (the enemy can attack from various angles).


So, I already have an endgame army (22 AA, 26 Titans and ~30 M.Genies) with Neela at lvl 27 and 20+ all stats. The middle area is somewhat boring, and slightly stronger monsters and rewards could be welcome (but that's probably because of the banks). A neutral dragon dwelling would also be nice (Faerie Dragons, etc.), to make the area more diverse. You could also add an inter-areas area between main areas, only reachable by underground.


Thanks for testing again. I will reduce the dwellings and maybe increase monster strength in the middle. The middle sometimes spawns a mega-dragon dwelling, but not always. There are however two underground zones that should spawn anything from Rust, Crystal, Fearie or Azure dragons.

Regarding the inter-areas: in-between where do you mean? The middle zone and the starting area?

Hope you enjoyed anyways :-)
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
gatecrasher
gatecrasher


Famous Hero
posted March 05, 2020 12:03 AM

Maybe you can't hire Dreadnoughts in town but instead Mechanics gain the ability to build them during battle?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
FirePaladin
FirePaladin


Supreme Hero
Undercover modder
posted March 05, 2020 12:25 AM

Deemer123 said:
FirePaladin said:
Deemer123 said:
FirePaladin said:
Deemer123 said:
Thanks for the tip.
Here is the link for the map "Full Circle" - a working title. Suggestions welcome...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/exp2z09zqt901v9/rmg.txt/file



So, I started the template yesterday. I chose Hard difficulty (just to get the hang of it, that's why), Tower (my first and my fav faction, because of the Titans and the beautiful Nagas) with Neela as hero (I usually choose Solmyr because he was my first hero). The bonus was artifact and the nr. of players was 7. My castle was in the south-east region, on snow terrain. I got Dracon (yeah, him), Nagash and Calid in the first day (last two as secondary and for res. bonus). I Gremlin rushed all monsters in the first weeks (Gargoyles as guards, and Naga Queens from week 2) with Neela and Dracon with Encahnters. Anyway, now it's month 2 week 2, first enemy encounter and I already have 4 castles (1 Tower almost full, 1 Necro full without creature upgrades, 2 Castle weakly developed) and 20+ Giants from banks and ~5 Angels from banks too. Neela is in an area with ~5 Griffin Conservatories and Dracon has 15 Giants and already encountered the main hero of Blue, Rampart. Now I'm gonna try to take over Blue. Seems pretty good right now (the template, I mean). You can encounter the enemy easily in underground if both of you clean the paths.
Neela and Dracon are mains, developing Neela especially.

Edit: I crippled the main of Blue, even though the hero had superior stats.


Thanks so much for testing. Sounds like you are having fun (which is the main idea).
Since you are already into, maybe I few things that I can think of improving after my testing:
1. Map seems too easy (but fun). Options to make it harder a) reduce the amount of creature banks, b) increase monster strength on passages to the "non-middle" and c) maybe block Armageddon as I tend to use that a lot starting a mid game - but then again anyone may choose not to use it.
2. One could make the wasteland zone bigger - even though it is set to pretty large in the editor it turns out in similiar size then my starting zone.
Happy to hear your thoughts though.

To the HOTA team: one thing that I noticed - and I am not sure if it is intentional - is that a ground connection as set in the editor can lead to several passages between those to zones (i.e. 3-4 entry points from one zone to the other blocked by different guards). That can be an advantage (you can choose which guard is easier) or disadvantage (the enemy can attack from various angles).


So, I already have an endgame army (22 AA, 26 Titans and ~30 M.Genies) with Neela at lvl 27 and 20+ all stats. The middle area is somewhat boring, and slightly stronger monsters and rewards could be welcome (but that's probably because of the banks). A neutral dragon dwelling would also be nice (Faerie Dragons, etc.), to make the area more diverse. You could also add an inter-areas area between main areas, only reachable by underground.


Thanks for testing again. I will reduce the dwellings and maybe increase monster strength in the middle. The middle sometimes spawns a mega-dragon dwelling, but not always. There are however two underground zones that should spawn anything from Rust, Crystal, Fearie or Azure dragons.

Regarding the inter-areas: in-between where do you mean? The middle zone and the starting area?

Hope you enjoyed anyways :-)


Start area or/and middle (this is not really necessary, but adds some more interesting details). However, if possible, the ones between start areas do not connect the two areas directly, unless the guardians are insanely strong (eg. several or more Azures, that strong).
I'm still enjoying the map (it's pretty nice, way better than some), I didn't finish it yet though, because I don't always have time to play.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
FirePaladin
FirePaladin


Supreme Hero
Undercover modder
posted March 05, 2020 12:57 AM

gatecrasher said:
Maybe you can't hire Dreadnoughts in town but instead Mechanics gain the ability to build them during battle?


That's actually a nice idea. And the 7th tier (in town) could be replaced by something else, weaker, or with another role (or maybe not even really exist). Or it could just show us a Juggernaut with 0 weekly growth (or 1 for castle).

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
MattII
MattII


Legendary Hero
posted March 05, 2020 03:43 AM

Looking at almost all those shots, we only see 4 creatures (including the Dreadnough/Juggernaut), so even with the mechanic, that still leaves us with two spots for potential mechanical units.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
gatecrasher
gatecrasher


Famous Hero
posted March 05, 2020 09:16 AM
Edited by gatecrasher at 09:21, 05 Mar 2020.

There's 6 unless Halflings and Bounty Hunters got cancelled. That flying unit has been shown only as icon so far.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
DrSlash
DrSlash


Hired Hero
posted March 05, 2020 10:47 AM
Edited by DrSlash at 10:55, 05 Mar 2020.

avatar said:
ArchDruid said:

I have a question for Hota Team: What happened to the following DEF files?
TWCRPORT, CPRSMALL, UN32, UN44


HotA Team found the way how to incorporate png files into H3 engine. PNGs have better quality than bmp files. So, they decide to pack some of 1.6.0 graphic into defs with png frames. That's why def tools can't recognise new format.

This is correct.

hortu said:
You won't get full campaign within first Factory update. Right now is the competition for creating tutorial-like campaign for introduction new town. This campaign will be like first campaign for Cove. This spinoff will tell us history of two brothers: Bertram and the other crazy looking guy.
Hota crew are focusing into developing the town or testing new balance for skills and magic. Right now they changing the whole town screen. Even they are not sure what ability the upgr. halfling should have. The true campaigns will add in later updates after Factory will be released. Source: vk and df2 forums

I'd like to crarify some points here:
First of all, we are still aiming to release the first campaign with the city, even if there is a slim chance that we'll have to put the campaign off for later;
The competition is not really about "creating" an entire new campaign, we're just looking for someone to edit the texts. The story itself is pretty much set in stone at this point. However, we do appreciate the help of skilled map-makers if someone wants to join in;
The spinoff campaign is just a test assignment for the competition. While it has a chance to be added to the game later at some point, the actual campaign released with the city will be the first half of the main Factory storyline;
"Changing the whole town screen" is a bit of an overstatement (but only a bit). Most buildings will stay the same, and many assets used for the background can still be reused, saving us a lot of time. The changes will mostly affect the composition of the screen. But yes, it is still a lot of hard work;
Us not being sure about the halfling ability is a normal situation. We've had a rough concept for the ability since before the demo we've made last spring, but we can't be completely sure until the faction gets implemented in its entirety so we can test the synergy between different units and how it plays compared to other towns in the game;
We are not working on rebalancing skills and magic at the moment. We already have a detailed plan for the rebalance, but for now there is enough programming to be done for the next update as it is. However, after we release Factory, skills and magic will definitely be among our first priorities.

EDIT: oh, and one more thing, Bertram and Todd are definitely not brothers

Cheers!

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
FirePaladin
FirePaladin


Supreme Hero
Undercover modder
posted March 05, 2020 11:07 AM
Edited by FirePaladin at 11:09, 05 Mar 2020.

MattII said:
Looking at almost all those shots, we only see 4 creatures (including the Dreadnough/Juggernaut), so even with the mechanic, that still leaves us with two spots for potential mechanical units.


Creatures seen with upgrade: Halfling, Armadillo, Centipede, Flamethrower, Bounty Hunter, Dreadnought.
Creatures recruited from Factory dwelling: Qoatl
So basically, all these creatures are Factory's creatures. Up until now, no neutral creature had an upgrade, so we can be sure the first 6 are part of Factory. Why I included the Qoatl? Because in a reveal video, there was a guy (Todd?) who had 1-4 Qoatl and was next to a dwelling called "Serpentarium", which is already found in the town itself. Now, this makes things more clear, at least in terms of lineup. And that's why I'm somewhat intrigued about the lack of robots.

Edit: It was probably confirmed on the russian forum that the dwelling is called Serpentarium.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
MattII
MattII


Legendary Hero
posted March 05, 2020 11:12 AM

Okay, so the Dreadnough/Juggernaut is really only the mechanical creature? Not much of a 'factory' faction then, is it?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
gatecrasher
gatecrasher


Famous Hero
posted March 05, 2020 11:21 AM

What's so special about a factory building only one product? Maybe the war machine will play a bigger role for the town.
The Mechanics unit might be a weak fighter stats-wise with worthwile/pivotal special abilities.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
DrSlash
DrSlash


Hired Hero
posted March 05, 2020 11:26 AM

MattII said:
Okay, so the Dreadnough/Juggernaut is really only the mechanical creature? Not much of a 'factory' faction then, is it?

Just be patient, Factory still has a number of quite unexpected twists that have yet to be announced Its focus on technology goes way beyond just one unit once you are familiar with the faction's concept in its entirety.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
FirePaladin
FirePaladin


Supreme Hero
Undercover modder
posted March 05, 2020 11:50 AM

gatecrasher said:
What's so special about a factory building only one product? Maybe the war machine will play a bigger role for the town.
The Mechanics unit might be a weak fighter stats-wise with worthwile/pivotal special abilities.


Now that you mention it, I remember people on the russian forum saying that the racial skill (engineering or what it's called) is similar with Necromancy. Maybe the hero builds several robots each battle?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
E1ChuRich
E1ChuRich


Hired Hero
posted March 05, 2020 01:17 PM

Hello,
Cove is great, Factory looks OK (exept T7, should have been dragon golems).

But when can we expect Kronwerk and Cathedral? I remember seeing full unit rooster for those towns completed like 10 years ago, perhaps they are not compatible with HD mod..?
It seems like progress nowdays is released at snail pace..

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Doomforge
Doomforge


Admirable
Undefeatable Hero
Retired Hero
posted March 05, 2020 01:29 PM

My only complaint is that the Mech doesn't get a new ability when upgraded.

I'm all for "bigger badder better" when it comes to stats, but I think the likes of Giant->Titan upgrade (or Sea Serpent ->Haspid) where you get some important upgrade that changes how the units plays is the best design course.

Other than that, it looks great, and the "AoE" melee attack seems awesome (I love Chaos Hydras so this will be a great unit to play with).
____________
We reached to the stars and everything is now ours

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Jump To: Next Thread » This Popular Thread is 430 pages long: 1 50 100 150 200 250 300 350 ... 399 400 401 402 403 ... 430 · «PREV / NEXT»
Post New Poll Post New Topic Post New Reply

Page compiled in 0.1442 seconds