Heroes of Might and Magic Community
please log in.! Register | Today's Posts | Search! | FAQ/Rules | AvatarList | MemberList | Profile

<a href="http://www.game-advertising-online.com/" target=_blank>Game Advertising Online</a><br> banner requires iframes

Heroes 1 (Heroes 2 (Heroes 3 (Heroes 4 (Heroes 5 (Heroes 6 ()

Login:     Username:     Password:    
Heroes Community > Library of Enlightenment > Thread: HOMM3 Tactics
Thread: HOMM3 Tactics [ This thread is 51 pages long: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 (31) 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ]
jeddite
jeddite

Tavern Dweller
posted October 12, 2011 02:22 AM

@zenofex @SAG thanks for the explanation. I am new in this web page, I will research rules carefully. I have generally played this game with my friends in LAN or by hamachi. I have not played too much online games. I did not know it is banned. As I mentioned earlier I just wonder. I wish people who wrote the first messages would say that to me instead of saying you are noob or something.

@salamander stil you are doing the same thing, talking in an insulting way. I am using that nick cause I like it. (I use him rarely when I take Dungeon.) I really do not understand you angle.

Secondly you said "It is not the purpose of this thread. Read again". In that case, why some people talked about tactics used on AI?

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
angelito
angelito

Hero of Order
proud father of a princess
posted October 12, 2011 06:49 AM

Maybe you get some things not the right way here. If you feel insulted by the post made about diplo, you may have to read them again. Those are NOT meant towards YOU, but towards the skill itself.

We talk about tactics here. Tactic has something to do with thinking, strategy, etc... Using diplomacy skill to gather hundreds of level 7 creatures and kill all enemies has nothing to do with skill (as I mentioned before), this is something, everybody who plays that game for 2 weeks can do.

It's like meeting for a knife fight and bring a pistol with you...hope you get the point.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
rock_bul
rock_bul


?!
posted October 12, 2011 11:10 AM

Quote:
Maybe you get some things not the right way here. If you feel insulted by the post made about diplo, you may have to read them again. Those are NOT meant towards YOU, but towards the skill itself.

We talk about tactics here. Tactic has something to do with thinking, strategy, etc... Using diplomacy skill to gather hundreds of level 7 creatures and kill all enemies has nothing to do with skill (as I mentioned before), this is something, everybody who plays that game for 2 weeks can do.

It's like meeting for a knife fight and bring a pistol with you...hope you get the point.



right!
lol
no one can say better than you did
____________
first you need to know what exactly you want, then wish it!

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
jeddite
jeddite

Tavern Dweller
posted October 13, 2011 01:46 AM

Quote:
Maybe you get some things not the right way here. If you feel insulted by the post made about diplo, you may have to read them again. Those are NOT meant towards YOU, but towards the skill itself.

We talk about tactics here. Tactic has something to do with thinking, strategy, etc... Using diplomacy skill to gather hundreds of level 7 creatures and kill all enemies has nothing to do with skill (as I mentioned before), this is something, everybody who plays that game for 2 weeks can do.

It's like meeting for a knife fight and bring a pistol with you...hope you get the point.


I got what you mean, I wish that you explained it in this way in the first place. Anyway thanks for the tips.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Vector
Vector


Hired Hero
posted October 15, 2011 09:02 PM
Edited by Vector at 21:08, 15 Oct 2011.

Say you are rampart.
You have 20 grand elves and 6 centaurs and basic tactics.
Split the centaurs into as many stacks a poss.
The enemy will have to waste a few turns killing the centaurs, whilst the elves get as many shots in as possible.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Robb
Robb


Adventuring Hero
posted October 15, 2011 09:02 PM
Edited by Robb at 11:21, 09 Nov 2011.

A good tactic vs fast units.
Have a layout like this, 1 MGremlin, Archamges, MGremlin 1, Then rest of Mgremlins.
Let us say we are fighting Mgenies.
In one big stack.
Wait with your shooters.
Fire.
They move.
Fire.
With the two MGremlins, put them right next to the master genies.
They will not resist to attack the 2 stack of gremlins.
Giving your shooters a chance to fire.
With the gremlins though, Just walk up to the genies, do not attack.
Cheers
Edit : Sry.
You must have the gremlins covered around the magi.
Edit : Move the gremlins around a bigger space than magi.
Then have the remaining gremlins shooting too.
They should attack the big stack of g first.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
AlexSpl
AlexSpl


Promising
Famous Hero
posted November 16, 2011 04:17 AM

Some nice creeping with Luna from Chinese masters:

Luna GIF animations

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Zenofex
Zenofex


Responsible
Legendary Hero
Kreegan-atheist
posted November 16, 2011 05:09 AM
Edited by Zenofex at 05:11, 16 Nov 2011.

Looks nice but unnecessary. By the time when you have Firewall which can deal more than 440 damage you also have large enough army to rob without casualties all resource dwellings on the map except the Utopias. Creeping with Sprites is OP by default though.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
AlexSpl
AlexSpl


Promising
Famous Hero
posted November 16, 2011 07:06 AM
Edited by AlexSpl at 07:13, 16 Nov 2011.

Quote:
By the time when you have Firewall which can deal more than 440 damage you also have large enough army to rob without casualties all resource dwellings on the map except the Utopias.


Are you speaking of Nagas?

With Advanced Fire Magic we have (SP - Spell Power):
3 * 2 * (10 * SP + 20) >= 440
60 * SP + 120 >= 440
SP >= 16/3

This means that Luna should have at least SP = 6. Providing she has SP = 3 at lvl1, it's not very difficult to gain SP = 6.

Things get easier with Expert Fire Magic - you just need SP = 3

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Zenofex
Zenofex


Responsible
Legendary Hero
Kreegan-atheist
posted November 16, 2011 07:56 AM

Huh, you are sure? The last time I checked (quite a while ago) Firewall did over 400 damage with Spell Power of about 10 or so. I have to install the game and check though. If it really works for 5-6 points of SP, then the above gets quite impressive indeed.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
AlexSpl
AlexSpl


Promising
Famous Hero
posted November 16, 2011 08:03 AM

Just checked. With 4 SP / Expert Fire Luna deals 180 damage per every Firewall section, this results in total of 540 HP. Quite impressive.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Zenofex
Zenofex


Responsible
Legendary Hero
Kreegan-atheist
posted November 16, 2011 08:08 AM

Damn, my mistake, I was thinking about the damage of a single section of the firewall, not all three of them.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Xarfax111
Xarfax111


Bad-mannered
Supreme Hero
The last hero standing
posted November 22, 2011 11:56 AM

Quote:
Some nice creeping with Luna from Chinese masters:

Luna GIF animations


Thanks for posting ... i love this gifs.

The power of Luna ..hehe
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Rhodan
Rhodan


Adventuring Hero
from Holland
posted November 26, 2011 04:41 PM

Hete's a little something about terrain nativity in-depth.

I see it a lot that you should always keep in mind that creatures aligned to a specific town gain 1 speed according to their native terrain (grass for Castle, Rampart and Conflux; snow for Tower; lava for Inferno; dirt for Necropolis; subterranean for Dungeon; rough for Stronghold and swamp for Fortress).

It is also that heroes can walk over terrain with no movement penalty, just as long as that hero is part of the alignment related to the terrain.

Though, what's not often said, is that neutral armies like the peasant, azure dragon or enchanter have no native terrain, thus also no speed bonus that could surprise you in battle. :')

Don't count on your terrain nativity bonus when battling near the sea: attacking neutral armies that are directly one tile next to a shore gives you a battlefield of sand terrain, as if you are on the beach - removing any 1 speed bonus for terrain nativity.

There, that was my one-time contribution after a long sleep.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
Salamandre Online
Salamandre


Honorable
Undefeatable Hero
posted November 26, 2011 04:49 PM
Edited by Salamandre at 16:53, 26 Nov 2011.

Yep, and clicking on the tavern allows you to recruit heroes. Seriously, Angelito has a lot of cleaning to do here

Quote:
It is also that heroes can walk over terrain with no movement penalty, just as long as that hero is part of the alignment related to the terrain.


Wrong. Try beastmaster with angels on swamp then with gnolls and compare.
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Rhodan
Rhodan


Adventuring Hero
from Holland
posted November 26, 2011 05:07 PM

Quote:
It is also that heroes can walk over terrain with no movement penalty, just as long as that hero is part of the alignment related to the terrain.


Wrong. Try beastmaster with angels on swamp then with gnolls and compare.


Thanks for the heads up. It's indeed not the hero, just the whole of the army that needs to be native to the terrain, for the movement penalty to leave.

The meter goes down slowly when moving with Orrin and Korbac with gnolls, but faster when they walk with angels.

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | PP | Quote Reply | Link
angelito
angelito

Hero of Order
proud father of a princess
posted November 26, 2011 06:04 PM

Come on people...we look for tactics...things that most of the players never would have thought of...not about things written on the first page of the cd inlay.....
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Fragmaster
Fragmaster

Tavern Dweller
posted December 01, 2011 02:52 PM

not sure if its usable tactic- but fun fact is that unit struck by basilisk and petrified - has increased damage resistance for duration of it
____________

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
Frank
Frank


Promising
Known Hero
posted December 20, 2011 08:49 PM

I've received an email from an HOMM fan from 10 years ago asking me if I had written stuff about the other HOMM in the serie.  I have not.  But it got me thinking and curious again about HOMM.  I've been reading too about the later iteration of the game namely HOMM IV, V and VI on other theads.

Which brings me to why HOMM III was so succesfull compared to the following versions and what I think is its most misunderstood game concept, one of the main reason for its success : RANDOM LUCK !

I never undestood people argueing that the luck factor is a bad thing.  It's what makes the game fun.  Besides, the game in which luck isn't a factor already exists and it's called CHESS.

The more that the random factor is involved in a game the LESS luck plays a role on the outcome of the game because it evens out...  You can never have all the luck nor all the bad luck!  The key is too learn how to lessen the impact of your bad luck while being capable of building on a fortunate turn of events.

A game without a luck factor is like knowing things in advance.  Where is the fun in that? Luck is hope a lesser skilled player holds on to, to overcome a greater skilled player.  Bottom line the luck factor makes a game so much more interesting and more importantly it brings more people playing it together.

Frank

P.S. The best way to lessen the impact of the luck factor for those not yet convinced is to learn and to master all the great tactics from everyone who contributed to this thead.  

 





 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
rock_bul
rock_bul


?!
posted December 21, 2011 02:15 AM

Quote:
I've received an email from an HOMM fan from 10 years ago asking me if I had written stuff about the other HOMM in the serie.  I have not.  But it got me thinking and curious again about HOMM.  I've been reading too about the later iteration of the game namely HOMM IV, V and VI on other theads.

Which brings me to why HOMM III was so succesfull compared to the following versions and what I think is its most misunderstood game concept, one of the main reason for its success : RANDOM LUCK !

I never undestood people argueing that the luck factor is a bad thing.  It's what makes the game fun.  Besides, the game in which luck isn't a factor already exists and it's called CHESS.

The more that the random factor is involved in a game the LESS luck plays a role on the outcome of the game because it evens out...  You can never have all the luck nor all the bad luck!  The key is too learn how to lessen the impact of your bad luck while being capable of building on a fortunate turn of events.

A game without a luck factor is like knowing things in advance.  Where is the fun in that? Luck is hope a lesser skilled player holds on to, to overcome a greater skilled player.  Bottom line the luck factor makes a game so much more interesting and more importantly it brings more people playing it together.

Frank

P.S. The best way to lessen the impact of the luck factor for those not yet convinced is to learn and to master all the great tactics from everyone who contributed to this thead.  




right!
____________
first you need to know what exactly you want, then wish it!

 Send Instant Message | Send E-Mail | View Profile | Quote Reply | Link
[ This thread is 51 pages long: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 (31) 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] < Prev Thread . . . Next Thread >
Post New Poll    Post New Topic    Post New Reply

Page compiled in 0.1140 seconds